We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

16 day itinerary suggestions?

sydney Australia
Level Contributor
879 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
16 day itinerary suggestions?

As part of an European trip next April May, my husband and I are doing 16 days approx in Italy. I have changed how and what we see and in what order many times, incl, adding and then taking away some organised parts of the trip. This is my latest idea and I would like some input as to if I am trying to do too much or doing things in the right order.

fly into Rome Day 1 - 7 In Rome - incl Vatican, Coluseum, other stuff. Day trip to Asissi ( want to see st Francis, and seems easier from Rome than from day trip from Florence) Day trip to Pompeii. inlcuding Vescuvius. organised bus tour.

Know it is long day, but not as interested in sorento, Naples as in spending time in other places.

Day 8 Move to florence travel via train. 2 nights in Florence, Dome, David, maybe Pisa ( is there where I visit Pisa or from Milan) .

Day 10 train to La Spezia and then onto Cinque Terre for 3 nights, to have some relax time at the coast.

Day 13 train to milan via slow train up the CT and connect to somewhere forget but easy to do I am told. stay in Milan try and prebook Last Supper.

Day 14 travel via Verona stop to Padua _ adding in this venue to see Basilica of Anthony and hopefully the market. and something chapel that is gorgeous. Onto venice on Day 15

Day 15 to 17 Venice .

Day 18 train to Salzburg to move onto munich after 1 overnight.

how does that sound? Feasible via Train? enough time in each place given my time constriction. thanks for your input

Iaccarino Sorrento Limousine Service
Taxis & Shuttles, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Cultural Tours, City Tours
Stefano's RomeCabs
Historical & Heritage Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Private Tours of Rome - Vatican, Sistine Chapel and Colosseum Tours
Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Archaeology Tours
TopBike Rental & Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire, City Tours, Bike Tours
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
13,196 posts
698 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 16 day itinerary suggestions?

I think it is doable, but a little rushed; if you wanted to skip some place maybe it would be better. It sounds also like you had collected a list of "must-sees" not to miss absolutely, without regarding in which cities they are; but notice that these cities are something more: Assisi is not (just) St. Francis, Milan is not (just) the Last Supper, Florence is not (just) David, and so away. Maybe you'd enjoy better your travel if you took a little more time to relax and to discover the cities themselves, eventually skipping one or two. And I agree that Rome offers a lot of things to see, maybe more than any other city in Italy, but in your situation you might be better to spend there one or two days less.

Pisa suits very well to be visited in the day of the journey from Florence to Cinque Terre, it is exactly in your way: you can leave from Florence early in the morning, spend most the day in Pisa and arriva at La Spezia in the evening. Pisa doesn't suit at all to be visited from Milan.

sydney Australia
Level Contributor
879 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 16 day itinerary suggestions?

hi. thank you so much for answering my query, I am slowly coming to terms with the geography of italy. Asissi, is also an organised tour, and goes to Chiesa Nuova, Piazza del comune plus free time and then onto Perugia, and lunch, and mini metro ticket and time to explore that town. I know it would be better to spend some time staying in this area, but one day will have to do this time.

In Milan I plan to do the overnight, and leave around lunchtime second day, so that I have time to do town tour which includes last supper but also more, so overnight will have to do. I had originally planned to skip Milan but I have to change trains there, so may as well stay and see some of it.

Florence plan to get earliest train and be there for 11am ,then two nights, so 1 and half days, and I know there is much more, but I am told it is a smaller city and so sights are closer than in Rome.

I had already worked out that Pisa is on the way to Cinque Terre, and that is good, since going there for half a day would hve made it harder to see much of Florence.

Verona and Padua are add ons as the train passes throught there. Rick steves seems to think you can go from Milan to Venice or visa versa in the one day stopping at these two towns but that is not enough, So I took away one day in Venice. Still having the three nights so two full days.

do you know if trains are frequent to Salzburg from Venice. this is a new thing too, as I had origianlly planned to go to Munich from Florence, now realising that is backwards travelling. Salzburg was going to be a two day trip from munich, now it can hopefully be 1 and a half as I only need to go one way. I could also take a day or too off my munich visit and add it to Italy, but I want to see so much around there, it has family connections to my son and daughter in law who lived there for part of a year, so I am not going to take any more time off there.

I think it will be ok. busy but I do have time to sit around, a bit and plan to relax on the trains too. thanks though for your input.

3. Re: 16 day itinerary suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2013, 10:16
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question