We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Give me your best tip/advice/recommendation! :) 1st time.

Victoria, TX
Level Contributor
4 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Give me your best tip/advice/recommendation! :) 1st time.

Planning dream trip to N. Italy with spouse after waiting too many years. Please post any and all guidance or recommendations that many of us will benefit from: Best cities, areas, or sites to see? Best place to stay or eat? How to find a good Driver service? Commute from a central point, or book a handful of cities? We love history, art, architecture, beautiful scenery, shopping, good food and wine. If you've been to northern Italy and could go back, what would be on the list to do again, and to not do? Thanks to all!!! :)

Liguria, Italy
Level Contributor
752 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Give me your best tip/advice/recommendation! :) 1st time.

You would probably get more helpful responses if you tells us why you picked northern Italy over southern Italy, and also which guidebook you bought that doesn't answer most of your questions. Perhaps you are not reading it correctly, because most guidebooks do answer almost every question you asked.

If you haven't bought a guidebook for Northern Italy, you should browse a few at a local bookstore and on Amazon, or borrow some from the library.

I live in Northern Italy, so there's no going back! However, one thing I have learned from may many travels in nothern Italy is that most people's advice about what I should see, do and eat is not any way what I like to do in Italy. I'd be more careful about imagining that most other tourists know what they are doing.

Victoria, TX
Level Contributor
4 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Give me your best tip/advice/recommendation! :) 1st time.

Hi Happy. Southern Italy is not on the agenda, so really no need to elaborate. Guidebooks offer great advice many places in every area, thus my request for those willing to share their personal experinces. I've used TripAdvisor reviews extensively on many prior NA trips, and have found opinions and ratings of other travelers quite helpful and reliable. Thanks for your feedback.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,069 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Give me your best tip/advice/recommendation! :) 1st time.

I have been to Italy many times and don't presume to tell anyone what is "best" - I too rarely am interested in many of the so-called must dos and must sees. It is all personal preference - I still do a lot of reading before a trip to decide how to spend my time so I am doing what I am interested in, not what strangers have told me is interesting.

I am not discounting the advice/suggestions provided on this site - as I am here doing it myself - but, the best tip anyone can offer has already been given to you - read up on your amazing number of choices.

As a tiny example - I am not a fan of either Venice or Florence - I fell in love with Bologna and am addicted to Rome and the southern coast of Italy though I also like the northern coast, I prefer the south. I am not a fan of lakes - too quiet for me. Others adore Venice the way I love Rome - no one is right or wrong. There are thousands of opinions of preferences -

I also don't buy into the idea that there is a "best" of anything. Given the sheer number of choices of all things, it is a bizarre concept to me.

You also haven't said how long you will be there, whether you will be renting a car, how long you want to stay in each destination.

tucson, az
Level Contributor
3,889 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Give me your best tip/advice/recommendation! :) 1st time.

>>I also don't buy into the idea that there is a "best" of anything. Given the sheer number of choices of all things, it is a bizarre concept to me. <<

Exatly. Were you to listen exclusively to me, you'd be skipping Florence and taking in the Natural History Museum (which is excellent) in Venice and ignoring the art museums there.

Someone else would tell you No, Florence and the Uffizi and then list off "must see" art museums in Venice.

We're both right because we have our own priorities. We can't make your itinerary for you and you'd probably hate it if we did.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,836 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Give me your best tip/advice/recommendation! :) 1st time.

I have to say I agree with everyone else that no one can tell you what is best for you, what you should see and where you should go. We all have our own ideas on what is worth seeing and what is not. I'm not really sure if you'll find anyone who is willing to take the time to throw out random suggestions when you yourself don't seem willing to take the time to narrow down your choices. I understand you want to hear personal experiences but by not giving us more information it's just impossible to make recommendations.

Donna

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
10,029 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Give me your best tip/advice/recommendation! :) 1st time.

As said above there is no such thing as a "must see". One persons "must see" is anothers why bother. SOme people think Venice is unique - others it's just a folly in need of a good plumber.

The other thing is you haven't mentioned dates.

And the other thing is "N. Italy".

Often people are too narrow minded and to them North Italy consists of Como, Milan and Cinque terre.

North Italy spreads from France in the west to Austria/Slovenia in the east all bordered in theNorth by Switerland/Austria - so where is "your" N. Italy

7. Re: Give me your best tip/advice/recommendation! :) 1st time.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2013, 10:18