We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trenitalia Restaurant Cars

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
222 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Trenitalia Restaurant Cars

My wife & I are traveling from Venice to Florence and then from Florence to Rome via Trenitalia in April. We want to be able to have lunch at least once in the restaurant car. can anyone do this even if we have economy tickets? do we need to make reservations?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,000 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trenitalia Restaurant Cars

Reports are that the food is better avoided. Buy a picnic before you get on board.

United States
Level Contributor
9,589 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trenitalia Restaurant Cars

The "restaurant" or bar cars have a limited selection of sandwiches and maybe a salad choice. They are not the dining cars of old. It's better to take your own food.

TAB

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
222 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trenitalia Restaurant Cars

Is everyone invited to go into there and sit? can we have a glass of wine and sit at a nice table? why wouldn't everyone buy economy seats and then just go into the restaurant if that was the case?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,130 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trenitalia Restaurant Cars

Found this image of the First Class dining car - still looks so-so but it is first class.

What are you referring to when you say "economy?" Are you planning on taking a regional train (one without a reserved seat) or are you talking about getting a second class ticket (with reserved seat)?

raileurope.com/blog/5638-frecciarossa-frecci…

Edited: 05 December 2012, 01:08
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,000 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trenitalia Restaurant Cars

The word "economy" suggests that the OP is getting information from RailEurope. I hope they have not also bought tickets there, as RailEurope has high prices.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
222 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trenitalia Restaurant Cars

We were planning on buying a ticket in advance for trenitalia... they have 4 catagories... "Super economy", "Economy" & "Base" all offer 1st & 2nd class tickets.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
222 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trenitalia Restaurant Cars

I'm getting my info directly of Trenitalia's website.... where should i go for the best deal? some say i should just book right at the station which makes me feel a little less than comfortable. although, and i am very happy about this... between Venice, Florence & Rome i have no time schedule so i can go with the flow.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,130 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trenitalia Restaurant Cars

Oh - yeah, just buy second class. It's not worth the extra money for the first class fare and these are short rides on the fast trains.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,000 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trenitalia Restaurant Cars

My mistake. Too early in the morning or something.

For the best prices, book direct with the train operator as far ahead as possible. Trenitalia tickets usually go on sale 120 days before travel, and the cheapest tickets often sell out quickly. Prices keep going up as the travel date gets closer.

There is also a new operator serving Milan, Turin, Bologna, Venice, Florence, Rome, Naples and Salerno: http://www.italotreno.it/EN

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trenitalia Restaurant Cars

Not all of the Trenitalia Frecciargento trains between Venice and Rome will have the sit-down restaurant car. As train service has become much faster, there are simply FAR fewer opportunities today to offer full meals on the fast trains (consider that Venice/Rome is less than 4 hours).

Many of the Frecciargento trains will have only a bar/snack counter selling unappealing snack/fast food items.

Where a formal restaurant service is provided (during appropriate lunch/dinner hours), you will have a choice of a two or a three course meal, with optional wine. While these meals are pricey (and not the finest cuisine), some travellers nevertheless want to try the "experience" at least once. I don't imagine that there are many "repeat" customers who are not on a business tab.

Seat reservations are taken on the train, for more than one "seating" timeslot. That allows more passengers to be served. ANYONE can make a seat reservation for the restaurant service (both first and second classes).

ITALO TRENO (competitor of Trenitalia) offers BOX meals on select trains, as well as vending machines in second class. More information is provided on their website.

To the the LOWEST fares, you must book FAR in advance (either with Trenitalia or with ITALO TRENO). On Trenitalia, you often can book up to 120 days beforehand.