We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Antibes to Lucca

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
81 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Antibes to Lucca

As part of a 6 week vacation in France and Italy my husband and I will be in Antibes with a hired car. From there we plan to drive to Menton where we will return the car. We want to take our time on the drive, enjoying one of the 3 Corniches and perhaps stop for lunch in one of the villages. After returning the car in Menton we plan to travel by train to Lucca, spending one night in one of the towns along the way. I'm wondering what town might be the best choice for ease of travel on both days? Is there a recommendation for a hotel that is close to the train station in the recommended town? The hotel does not need to be fancy. For a brief, overnight stay all we require will be clean sheets and a hot shower. Towns I've considered are Ventigmiglia and San Remo, or would we be better off going farther, perhaps to Genova?

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Antibes to Lucca

We would consider Savona, staying at the yacht club which offers good value accommodation, food o site with seafood specialities or pizza nearby.

Haven't been there, but this would be our first option travelling by train.

The rail station is less than one mile away from the harbour.

www.clubnauticosavona.it

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,484 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Antibes to Lucca

Options I would personally prefer (and which are served by the faster trains) would be Bordighera, Alassio and Finale Ligure. But Ventimiglia, Genoa, San Remo and Savona are all possible.

Really, it depends what you are looking for and how far you want to travel. Genoa is the obvious big city option, with masses to see and do www.genova-turismo.it/spip.php?rubrique60 - Savona is also an industrial-commercial port city, but smaller and its attractions are largely disappointing. Ventimiglia is very much a border town.

Bordighera is the smallest, quietest option, with a train station right on the sea-front and a range of hotels. Finale Ligure has a historic seafront area with hotels around Finale Marina where the station is, and a more historic area at Finalborgo just inland. Alassio is the most fashionable western riviera resort, many hotels and shopping around a bay with golden sand.

Diano Marina might also be a good option for cheap accommodation near the station, as it's not at all a stylish resort though it's reasonable pleasant.

Edited: 13 December 2012, 15:03
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
81 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Antibes to Lucca

Your responses are just what I was hoping for. Of the places mentioned Savona or Finale Ligure seem to be our best options for a decent and easy place to rest for a night, then move on in the morning. Thanks for your help!

Edited: 13 December 2012, 21:16
4. Re: Antibes to Lucca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 07:16