We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trenitalia Website

Gold Coast Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Trenitalia Website

The Trenitalia website allows bookings 4months ahead but whenever I try to book Venice to Florence on the Frecciagento the Super Economy or Economy First class seats always show as sold out-anyone have any advice or info.

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Likely To Sell Out
Vatican Museums Skip the Line Tour...
23,428 Reviews
from US$83.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Sistine Chapel VIP Private Viewing...
537 Reviews
from US$415.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany 1-Day Sightseeing Tour with...
6,890 Reviews
from US$113.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Rome Colosseum Underground Chambers...
2,918 Reviews
from US$124.70*
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
92,704 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trenitalia Website

What date are you trying to book for?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
92,704 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trenitalia Website

Trenitalia may have decided not to offer discount fares in first class in April, or maybe they have really sold out: I think school holidays are in April.

Just buy second class tickets: second is acceptably comfortable and much better than economy on any airline.

Gold Coast Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trenitalia Website

The 22nd of April but tried testing it first on some dates four months ahead

Cheers

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
64 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trenitalia Website

I just got 4 second class tickets for 36E total from Rome to Naples on 16th April, There were no first class seats available on offer. I wasn't too bothered on such a short journey, but was going to book first class on longer stretches later on in my trip. On sydneynick's advice I may just stick to second class unless I can get a super bargain.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Naples
Naples
Province of Naples, Italy
Woodbury, New York
Level Contributor
370 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trenitalia Website

I too spent much time researching this past week for 1st class tickets for Mar 29. Every date/time I tried around that same period had one ticket available only at the discounted prices.

Mentioned in this post
For O'Mar
For O'Mar
240 Reviews
Naples, Italy
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
310 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trenitalia Website

That seems a bit fishy. Plenty of people just show up in Italy and buy tickets the same day or only a few days before - during peak season even.

It might just be a glitch in the system. I've had that happen on airline websites.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
92,704 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trenitalia Website

There are very limited quantities of the really cheap seats, and they often sell out quickly. There are plenty of full-price seats, and it is usually possible to buy a full-price seat shortly before travel.

I think all the posts above are referring to availability of discounted tickets.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
149 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trenitalia Website

Hello. I've done the Venice - Florence trip many many times - 2nd class is fine. I wouldn't spent the extra on first class I don't believe it's worth the extra.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,560 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Trenitalia Website

I wouldn't spend the extra on first class either - I just took (two weeks ago) the fast train Milan to Rome in second class and it was perfectly comfortable. If there was a huge difference, maybe; but, there isn't and I'd rather spend that extra money on fun stuff.

Mentioned in this post
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Melbourne
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trenitalia Website

Hi everyone. I tried to book a ticket from La Spezia to Rome for April 2013 and found the prices jumping up and down each time i refreshed my search so it might be possible to keep tabs, but you risk missing out on the economy or super economy fares. I have also used Italia Rail (in the US even though I am in Melb Aus) and they were great. Same prices and their website is so much easier to use . Tonight however, I am frustrated. Booked the tickets for a good price on the Trenitalia site, entered credit card details and then the webpage disappeared. The order number was up for about 10 seconds and it all looked to be successful. I've since received no email, no order number, confirmation or anything. I didn't register online either (though have since done so and the password they sent doesnt work). Useless website. Their online contact forms error and it seems I am going to have to phone Italy to see whether my booking worked (as it looks like the balance on my credit card has increased the same amount of the fee). Anyone have any advice on how I can find out if my booking worked and how I can get an eticket? Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
La Spezia
La Spezia
Province of La Spezia, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Hotel Italia
Hotel Italia
1,102 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Italy