We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Rome to Florence

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from Rome to Florence

Hi there, we are going to Rome and Florence in February and we are trying to decide whether to hire a car or get the train between the two cities. Does anyone know how easy/convenient rail travel is in Italy please and whether it is expensive. Thanks.

K Gorton

77 replies to this topic
GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,820 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Rome to Florence

If you act quickly, you can get one-way tickets on the Trenitalia fast train from Roma Termini to Firenze SMN for a low as 9 Euros in second class (regular fare is 45 Euros). But you must act FAST, and NOW! Be aware that the discounted promotional fares (including the 9-Euros fare) are all non-refundable, and certain fares are also non-changeable.

www.trenitalia.com

Competitor ITALO TRENO also offers cheap promotional fares, but be aware that this operator uses Rome Tiburtina Station instead of the more centrally located Rome Termini Station. From FCO airport, you can reach BOTH stations easily and cheaply by public transportation. ITALO TRENO does not currently match the 9-Euro fare offered only by Trenitalia.

www.italotreno.it

P.S.: Absolutely no reason to drive, unless you are planning on making several stops in places off of the rail lines.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,896 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Rome to Florence

A train will take you from central Rome to central Florence in less than 90 minutes. The full fare is €43 but, as GAC points out, if you act quickly you could travel for as little as €9.

If you go by car, the journey will take over 3 hours, mostly along very boring motorway. It will be far more stressful than the train, and will cost more: €16.30 in tolls, around €35 in fuel, and the cost of a one-day rental.

London, United...
Level Contributor
204 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Rome to Florence

HI, i would say to take a train. driving in rome and or florence can be slightly overwhelming. plus its a pain to find parking.

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, Crete
Level Contributor
11,006 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Rome to Florence

Hi there

I would definately use the train too...we did the same trip last March and it was the first time that I had used Italian trains and I was very impressed - they are clean, on time, and reasonable cost if you book in advanced ...and so much better than our UK trains...its a pleasure just to sit back and watch the beauitful countryside go by - have fun :-)

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
7,790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Rome to Florence

You don't hire a car in Europe to go from A to B. You use the rail network for that.

You hire a car to pootle round the countryside for a few days or a week or two.

Cars are a liability in any Italian city, with difficulties parking, traffic problems, and fines if you stray into poorly-marked traffic control zones.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,787 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from Rome to Florence

the only time we have picked up a car for this sort of transit was when we were traveling with my elderly mother and were taking two days to go to Rome from Florence. It was easy for her to have a backseat to herself and not have to worry about luggage and climbing steep train stairs etc. we made the decision at the last minute when we saw how difficult travel logistics were for her.

It is more expensive and having a car is a hassle with ZTLs everywhere -- get train tickets early t get cheaper rates -- train definitely the way to go

Makati, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel from Rome to Florence

I enjoyed taking the Frecciarosa from Rome to/from Naples and Florence. On-time, fast, comfortable, smooth ride with nice views to boot. Yes book in advance to get a good fare but only if you're definite with your trip and do take note of the fare restrictions.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,772 posts
1,974 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel from Rome to Florence

Travel by train. It's fun, affordable, fast, frequent and roomy.

In fact it's everything that car travel is not.

Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel from Rome to Florence

Definitely the train, I have done this journey and it was incredibly easy!

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
249 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel from Rome to Florence

Take the train. Easy, cheap, and extremely comfortable. With all the bad press trenitalia gets, you thought that they have the worst train in Europe. You will be pleasantly surprised.

Try grabbing that €9 if it is still around. Last time we paid €45 for 2 under the Sabato Italiano 2x1 promotion.

Reply to: Travel from Rome to Florence
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted