We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights from Boston/US to Italy

Boston
Level Contributor
119 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Flights from Boston/US to Italy

I haven't been to Italy in 3 years and am heading back this October for my wedding. I used to travel there every year and a few years ago it was about $600 for a flight from Boston to Florence for all those years. I did a quick search today and it was showing $1,100. I know prices have gone up, but maybe it's too early booking it? What are other people seeing or have seen in the past year or so?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights from Boston/US to Italy

There MIGHT be a sale if you wait - or even now you can get cheaper with indirect (and inconvenient) routing - but for a reasonably direct flight that's about the going rate these days.

Markets are a little different but from Philly high season runs between $1200-1400 r/t to Europe, off season around $900. October squarely in between.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
9,605 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights from Boston/US to Italy

I've been going to Italy the 3rd week of September every year since 2004. My USAir flight is out of Philadelphia and it seems to be $100 more every year. Last year my flight was $950, the year before $850 so I'm fully expected it to be $1050 this year. I don't usually book until mid-July or so and I have flexible dates so I have a little wiggle room.

Boston
Level Contributor
119 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights from Boston/US to Italy

I can't believe how much has changed in a few years. This isn't even high season. All our rates where we are staying are low season.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,736 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights from Boston/US to Italy

October is really now part of high season in most areas in Italy.

Many (if not most) airlines reduced their total number of flights on many routes so there are less empty seats on some planes so they don't need to reduce prices much.

For years, when I fly across even in September (high season) or May - there were often times many empty seats - now, there is rarely an empty seat. I flew to Italy in early December and returned on Dec 21 and the planes were packed.

I just rec'd an email alert from Alitalia about a "sale" for flights through sometime in March and they are all in the neighborhood of $750-$800; two years ago I bought a ticket in January for a March 2011 trip for about $580 - and that wasn't a sale - it was just the price.

Things have changed - but do sign up for email notices from the different airlines you might end up booking with. The one I rec'd today lets you buy up to Jan. 23 with those prices but the travel has to be done by sometime in March so not good for your time.

Boston
Level Contributor
119 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights from Boston/US to Italy

Thanks for all the up-to-date information on the flights. I just thought it was me, but it looks like times have changed.

Waltham...
Level Contributor
250 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights from Boston/US to Italy

i go every year from boston.i now only want direct flights, which means alitalia.they seemed to be improved in all ways.yhis year i am going in august.i'll keep checking there web site from now on .a deal will pop up at any time, so you have to jump on it.patienza

7. Re: Flights from Boston/US to Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2014, 05:18