We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What shoes to wear

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
244 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
What shoes to wear

I'm reallly struggling with my decision on what shoes to wear. I have some really great casual dress shoes (slip on's) that are super comfortable and go great with anything. I also have some running shoes that I know are great for walking but don't look very classy. Do you think that I'll get by walking the long distances with my dress shoes and still looking good or should I look like an idiot with my running shoes? Or, should I find some in between shoes?

Likely To Sell Out
Vatican Museums Skip the Line Tour...
23,435 Reviews
from US$82.70*
Likely To Sell Out
Sistine Chapel VIP Private Viewing...
537 Reviews
from US$413.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany 1-Day Sightseeing Tour with...
6,890 Reviews
from US$112.70*
Special Offer
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Skip the...
11,813 Reviews
from US$60.90*
US$67.60
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,614 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What shoes to wear

Most important is not how they look but how they support your feet - good shoes with good support and soles; walking on cobblestones and marble is horribly unforgiving. It is the most important thing you can put time in thinking about and keep in mind, no one cares what you wear or what is on your feet - but you will care if you wear shoes with a thin sole and no support.

Get them a few weeks in advance and wear them prior to your trip to begin to break them in. If you don't walk miles a day at home, you will do so in Rome, Florence or Venice and other cities/towns.

Not an area where fashion should in any way trump comfort.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
27,050 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What shoes to wear

no one cares what you wear -- but like you I don't want to feel like a goober in athletic shoes

the thing is there are dozens of walking show options and also many athletic shoes styled to be unobtrusive -- so you should be able to find something amazingly comfortable for walking 10 miles a day on pavements without looking like you just left the gym

I have a pair of merrells that does the trick -- in fact they are so great that although they clearly need to be replaced, I am wearing them till the soles actually delaminate on me

but don't choose 'dressy flats' for walking in Rome except to dinner perhaps -- make sure your long haul shoes are well cushioned and provide support and are really comfortable (and haul the blister bandaids anyway if you aren't used to doing miles every day in them)

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What shoes to wear

GC - I am assuming rhat you are female so correct me if I am wrong. What season are you planning to travel in? I purchased a pair of black patent gumboots that have a slightly wedged heel and a black bow tied on the back. I had originally purchased them for a trip to Hong Kong in Winter and wore them every day and my feet didnt get sore at all despite walking up to 8km a day and often uphill. I then wore them almost every day through a Melbourne Winter and plan to take them to Italy. I bought them from Scribbler Gumboots, an Australian brand and I believe they currently have a sale (gumboots for AUD59). Not sure if they deliver to the US so you will need to check. They have a variety of different types of gumboots in various colours and styles (not all have wedged heels, some have flat heels).

Edited: 20 January 2013, 00:47
Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
tucson, az
Level Contributor
4,185 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What shoes to wear

>>It is the most important thing you can put time in thinking about and keep in mind, no one cares what you wear or what is on your feet - but you will care if you wear shoes with a thin sole and no support.<<

Yeah, I wore my New Balance walking shoes because my feet feeling good trumps looking fashionable. I don't know how people walked around Italy in the either stiletto heels or 99 cent flip-flops ( I saw that at least a couple of times) that have zero support without collapsing at the end of the day. I used to work for a sporting goods company so I absorbed all the reasons why well-fitting supportive shoes are important.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,416 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What shoes to wear

Depends too where you are going, some places cry out comfort, , Venice for instance, nothing worse than unhappy feet,

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,332 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What shoes to wear

Good luck to all of you women who are so concerned about how your feet look rather than what will be be good for your feet. 90% of podiatrist patients are women because of years/decades of pursuing feet beauty. Wearing supportive shoes on long walking vacations makes it so that you might be able to keep on walking all over Italy into your 60s and beyond. Rome cobblestones are hard on your feet. The only thing worst are those really irregular cobblestones in Pompeii. I have seen women wearing stilleto boots in Pompeii; I am sure she thought they were really cute and they matched her teal scarf.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Pompeii
Pompeii
Province of Naples, Italy
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What shoes to wear

There is nothing wrong with wanting to look good on a holiday but you just need to be pratical at the same time. And there are decent comfortable shoes you can buy that also look nice.

8. Re: What shoes to wear

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2014, 05:18