We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italy for 10-11 days.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
43 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Italy for 10-11 days.

Hello! I am planning a trip with my mom in Italy for about a week and a half at the end of April. I just wanted some advice as to how many days to allot per destination (although I understand that this varies greatly amongst travelers!) So, our plan is to fly in and out of Milan and I've already seen Rome, so we'll be staying more so in the north. Here is what I was thinking:

1 day in Milan (the day we get there and will allow ourselves a little bit of time to explore the city...don't care to see it too much!)

3-4 days in Cinque Terre (LOVED it and definitely want to be here the longest)

1 quick day in Pisa (or part day there, part day traveling)

2 days in Florence

2.5 days in Venice (getting back to Milan/getting on the return flight)

Does this sound manageable/anyone have any suggestions? Should I make Venice 1.5 days? Should I exclude Venice entirely and save it for when I someday return to Italy (just since it is farther away...)? I appreciate any input!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,094 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Italy for 10-11 days.

Did you consider flying into Florence, seeing the CT, training back to Florence...and training onto Venice, and then flying home from Venice? That would save you a day getting back to Milan...which you don't care to much for, and leave you for more time for Venice. Also...if the side trip to Pisa is mainly for a photo-op with the Leaning Tower...I'd skip Pisa.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,556 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Italy for 10-11 days.

Above is good, let me just add that it would be a mistake (IMHO) to skip Venice.

I also agree on minimal value of Pisa, although it is very famous.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,461 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Italy for 10-11 days.

I agree about Pisa - I remember seeing as a teen and thinking - so, that's it, huh? Wasn't very impressed with the rest of the city and whined (typical moody teenager) about wanting to leave and go somewhere interesting - which we did; never been back. But, I know a lot of people really want to see it - I'd never trade it for Venice myself but, it depends on what is more of interest.

If Pisa was, say, 10 minutes from Florence, I would suggest going but, as it is, on a brief trip, I personally would never recommend it. Only if it is something you just really really have to see - then go.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
43 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Italy for 10-11 days.

I suppose that it must be true about Pisa since everyone says to skip it. Although it wouldn't be much more expensive to go CT to Pisa to Florence, it takes a day away. Milan is the best for me to fly in to and I want to try to see the last supper (fingers crossed...every time I fly into the city, it's always booked too many weeks in advance!) and then leave for ct that evening. I'll look into an open jaw ticket...

In your opinions, which city merits more time: Venice or Florence?

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,556 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Italy for 10-11 days.

Venice and Florence are both wonderful and both merit immense amounts of time. Only you can choose. Get into some guide books. The two cities are very much different and each is unique.

6. Re: Italy for 10-11 days.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2014, 06:19