We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8-10 days tour of important cities in Italy

Newtown...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
8-10 days tour of important cities in Italy

My husband and myself are planning to tour italy in may of this year.want to see all the important cities and all the places that should be seen.hotels should be in good location and at least 4 star.budget is 3-4 thousand per person not including air.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,742 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 8-10 days tour of important cities in Italy

You cannot possibly, in any way ever, see "all the important cities" etc. Italy is a large country. With that amount time, choosing three cities/destinations is a decent schedule.

What is it exactly you want to see? There are many "important" cities in Italy - are you wanting to see the three that many want to see: Rome, Florence, Venice? Or do you have some other places in mind?

Have you taken some time and looked over a good guidebook yet? Are you interested in art? ancient ruins? the seaside? the lake district? the countryside?

Help us help you....

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,237 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8-10 days tour of important cities in Italy

Agree entirely with the above - there aren't ANY places that "should be seen", it's entirely a matter of personal preference: however the top 3 would have to be Rome, Florence and Venice, which would fit your timeframe. I don't in any case consider it appropriate to expect other TA members to provide you with a ready-made itinerary including specific hotels in each city, as if we were tour operators!

First you need to narrow down your choice of cities (where are you flying into and out of, for a start?), then work out an itinerary (how would you be travelling? You can do the 3 cities mentioned by train), and THEN check in the forum for each city under the hotels llst on the left-hand side of the page ("Rome hotels", "Florence hotels", etc.) which you can arrange in order of ratings or price, for hotels in what YOU consider to be a good location (which is a subjective judgment). It's up to you to decide what sort of location would suit you - which will depend on how you are travelling - and perhaps THEN ask questions to narrow it down.

As regards budget: 3-4 thousand what? Divided by 10 this gives 300-400 (whatevers) a day which it seems should cover 4-5* hotels as well as transport between them and transfers from airports/stations to hotels, as well as meals.

I would suggest you look online (http://www.citalia.com/) or at your local travel agent for brochures containing organised tours around Italy, which might give you an idea of what you do and don't want to include. Or even go to a travel agent and ask them to make up an itinerary for you, if you don't want to do it yourself.

Paciano, Italy
Level Contributor
373 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8-10 days tour of important cities in Italy

My goodness! That certainly is a bit of scolding going on above. Lots of people ask "what should be seen"!

In my experience, the "first trip to Italy" usually is Rome: a bit chaotic but filled with ancient Roman artifacts mixed with a large central area built in the 15-1600's, museums, grand piazzas. Florence: cradle of the Renaissance,

small enough to stroll through & still the place for the best souvenir type shopping of Italian goods from street markets to the finest fashions.

Venice: magic and unlike any place you will ever vist. The streetlights are pink!

Buy a guidebook & see what might interest you & what are called the "not to miss" sights. Happy Trails!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
927 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8-10 days tour of important cities in Italy

The classic Italy trip is Rome, Florence and Venice

Rome hotel- #2 on tripadvisor

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187791-d191099…

Venice hotel #3 on tripadvisor

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187870-d154728…

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
927 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8-10 days tour of important cities in Italy

Fuzzy- perfect way to highlight the top three!

Some of the "best" hotels may already be booked for May.

Edited: 29 January 2013, 00:58
canada
Level Contributor
7,452 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8-10 days tour of important cities in Italy

All the places that should be seen.

-- Even if you confine these to within Rome, you still cannot complete that list in ten days.

For example, one type of the sights in Rome is Churches, there are over a hundred. If I only select those honoring Santa Maria (sorry Peter, John and Paul and the rest)...I still cannot finish seeing them within ten days.

So you choose what to miss this time, and prepare for a second longer trip.

Hamilton, Ontario
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 8-10 days tour of important cities in Italy

My husband and I just returned from the "Best of Italy" tour with Albatours, 10 day trip, we did exactly what is listed for you trip's first 10 days. We were lucky enough to meet some very nice people who we were able to share advice and free time with. Overall it was the best trip ever.

You did not state your ages, we are 51 & 52, found the pace fairly reasonable, not a trip if you have disabilities or difficulty climbing stairs.

We were well looked after, bags delivered to rooms, plenty of free time, and lots of organized walks. The included meals were good, not great, but they included wine and it was part of your package. Breakfasts were more then I expected, included scrambled eggs and bacon usually; suggest taking ziplock baggies and making up small sandwiches for lunches (yes I know it sounds tacky), but it was all you really needed to tide you over till supper, plus you want room for a Gelato! The bus stops were remarkable though, better then any at home!

When you arrive in Rome do not nap or you will never get over jet lag. We took the time to visit things not on the agenda; The Pantheon, The Spanish Steps, The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier or Vittoriano (view from the top spectacular) walk through the Borghese park, there are tours through the Villa but you must get tickets online in advance, would have done this if I had have known. You can get a walking map from the hotel front desk. Dinner was outdoors bring a jacket it got cool, and we didn't know.

The tour guide Mauro, said he was one of the most senior, but he did not tell us enough information, we had to find out on our own, it would have been interesting if he "guided" us a little more.

The next day is a tour of The Vatican, there was a guided tour with Alba to purchase,we did it on our own, cheaper yes, but not informative, I would spend the extra. From there we took a subway to the Coliseum (very easy 1.50 euros or get the ticket in the gift shop), Must see not on the agenda The Coliseum 8 euros to go in, well worth the price. That night on your own for dinner, we went to La Balestra, easy walk from Beverly Hills Hotel, (front door turn left, left at first street cross over on the right hand side), it is a little Mom & Pop true Italian ristorante, excellent food and cheap wine, 1/2 liter 4.00 euro. Florence was fabulous, Venice spectacular, go with the gondola ride Alba offers worth the price. The glass blowing demo was neat, but the rest of the Murano glass tour was a complete sales pitch, skip it if you can and take more free time, so much to see, enjoy the night time entertainment in the square, dance to the music! On your own for dinner, many restaurants to choose from, the tour offers one but go on your own and explore.... they are not ALL expensive as the guide would have us believe. We had rain for Verona, but it is a wonderful little town, very picturesque. It was then on to Stressa, we stayed at Hotel Splendid, it was simply to most grande hotel I have ever stayed in, Hotel Dino is similar, enjoy the view!

Our tour took us to Switzerland but again the rain and clouds dampened the views, still a wonder to behold.

Sienna was nice to walk through the square, we felt safe everywhere we went, had a money belt never used it, just be mindful of your surroundings. Best part of our stay in the Hotel was the fact that AC Milan soccer team was staying overnight, they had a game the next day we could see from the window, and watch on TV, such hype for this team, fans spilling over into the streets, the chanting the screaming, was all very exciting.

San Gimignano was quaint, lots of little shops, got most of my shopping done here.

Lunch was included with a winery tour.... lunch was super if you enjoy wine, many to sample and taste, it was a quiet bus ride back to the hotel!

Assisi was nice to see it is the order of the new Pope Francis.

Advice, pack light, be organized, get to breakfast early (as soon as it opens, don't wait for the time the tour guide tells you by then all seats are taken), zip-lock baggies wrap up food to go, everyone does it, bring a facecloth if you like they don't use them, no conditioner in most hotels, bring bubble wrap for the "breakables" you bring back in your suitcase. Take a bottle opener, and plastic wine glass, it seems wrong to drink out of the little plastic hotel bathroom cups. Bring an umbrella or rain cape (ones that won't blow in the wind), just in case, do not buy from the street vendors the cost of 5 euros for an umbrella that will break in 5 minutes, not worth it. Ask for a receipt for all your purchases. Take as many pictures as possible, buy the post cards especially the indoor shots as a lot of places you can not take pictures inside. Make sure you bring a converter plug, and check your appliances are self converting (most are), you don't need a blow dryer as all the hotels had them. Take the slippers in Venice they are yours (you'll know what I mean).

When you return to Rome there will be free time, our friends went to the catacombs, they took a cab, and paid for a guided tour, they loved it, we should have done it but didn't :(

This is where we went home, but you will enjoy another 5 days, I will admit we were exhausted at the end of our 10 days, our friends were continuing on for 4 more days, not sure I would have been able to keep up the pace any longer. One day we'll go back and soak in the Southern part of Italy.

Have a wonderful trip, Hope the info is helpful, if there is anything else let me know!

Lisa B

8. Re: 8-10 days tour of important cities in Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2014, 07:18