We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to buy train tickets

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to buy train tickets

Hi folks,

Travelling to italy for 3 weeks in july with 4 friends , expecting to take 6 train trips in total.

1 - milan to varenna

2 - varenna to venice

3 - venice to florence

4 - Florence to chuisi

5 - chiusi to Rome

6 - Rome termini to Rome airport

Any advice gratefully accepted about what is the. Best way to reserve and book tickets from Australia?

Thank you

72 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,152 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Best way to buy train tickets

If you buy at the train station shortly before travel, you will pay the full price of €43. For the best prices on train travel, book direct with the operator as far ahead as possible. Trenitalia tickets go on sale 4 months before travel, and the cheapest tickets often sell out quickly. Discounted ticket prices keep going up as the travel date gets closer.

You can get train times and costs from www.trenitalia.com clicking on the UK flag to change to English and using the Italian names for towns, or from the competitor on major routes http://www.italotreno.it/EN . There are notes about online booking at www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/ItalyTrain.htm

Turin
Level Contributor
6,218 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Best way to buy train tickets

Are you sure it's the schedule changing all the time and not the hour on your PC?

You must put something in the hour box, or trenitalia's site will switch to your time.

Izmir, Turkey
2 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Best way to buy train tickets

hi me and my friend would like to make a trip on May. We have a problem about going Pisa from Venice

because we couldnt find ticket on trenitalia, those are only available for locals ! or is there any other way ?

Thanks in advance !

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,152 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Best way to buy train tickets

You are doing something wrong. Go to www.trenitalia.com click on the UK flag to change to English, and look for trains from Venezia S Lucia to Pisa Centrale.

If you are using the Italian version of the Trenitali site, you must click on "Tutti i treno" to see the local trains between Florence and Pisa.

Izmir, Turkey
2 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Best way to buy train tickets

Thanks but it didnt work, still requires registaration and when i try to register it is only for italians, dont know the reason it is like that for every hour

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,498 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Best way to buy train tickets

You can buy Venezia S. Lucia to Firenze S. M. Novella without registration by selecting 'non sono regiatrato' before purchase.

Buy tickets between Florence and Pisa in Venice or Florence, from booking offices or from ticket machines to avoid queues - these Regional trains have no advance reductions and no seat reservations so cannot sell out. Validate (time'date-stamp) these tickets before boarding your train.

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
117 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Best way to buy train tickets

Trying to get to Percheria Del Garda on August 17th for late morning from Florence, Trenitalia earliest train available leaves Florence 10am with connecting train arriving 1:15pm, I'm trying to determine where else I can book train travel. I tried the site Italo, it has a train leaving 8:55am arriving Padova 10:30, but I don't have to arrange another a connecting train from here to get to Percheia Del Garda, and determining if arriving any sooner. I'm sure there is a connecting regional train where no reservation is required. Maybe connecting via Milan might be better?

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
117 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Best way to buy train tickets

Further to my question, if the time is not available on line.. is it possible to if I show up the day before my date I traveling and book for the next day.....do they leave a number of spots open for days before travel date. I can't image they sell off the entire train months in advance. But also, don't want to be stuck without any ticket.

I realize I maybe paying more, but at I continuing with our plans than waiting in train stations.

Any assistance would be great.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,498 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Best way to buy train tickets

Mike-GTA - you are trying to book too early. 120 days in advance may be the official period, but around timetable changes such as that on June 14 it is in practice much less. No regional trains are online for later dates, and some of the faster trains are also awaited and others are online but cannot yet be ticketed.

The Trenitalia website is still showing garbage for many of the connections around August 17 such as the 08.30 changing at Padova, showing trains sold out when their tickets have never even been put on sale. It is the trains from Padova to Peschiera which are wrongly showing as sold out, you can apparently book Firenze S. M Novella to Padova without problems.

The fastest route, the 07.50 from Firenze Campo di Marte (with a change in Verona) is similarly showing garbage for your date

Leave it a few weeks.

Venice, Italy
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Best way to buy train tickets

Timetables for Regionale and RegioExpress trains between Verona Porta Nuova and PESCHIERA del Garda haven't been published yet and won't be before late may.

As for trains from Florence to Verona Porta Nuova, Trenitalia website already shows a number of trains for August 17th, leaving Florence (Campo di Marte) at 9.35 am, 10.35 am, 11.35 am and taking exactly one hour and half to Verona Porta Nuova.

The sooner you book, the less you pay. So, if you want to wait until the day before you travel, expect to pay the Base fare (€37) instead of an Economy or Supereconomy fare (from €13, as you can see).

Reply to: Best way to buy train tickets
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted