We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to go

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
where to go

first time to italy for my husband and myself, I'm not sure which area to go to like rome and venice or to go south. would you recommend a tour or on our own,(i like to put trips together but this seem like it may be to much) we will be there for 2 weeks around the end of september beginning of october. thank you

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,062 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to go

There are hundreds of places that are worth seeing in Italy. Which of them you should visit depends on your interests, and I know nothing about them. My "must see" might be totally boring to you.

You need to get hold of a guide book on Italy, and work out which places would be interesting to you.

Eichstätt, Bayern...
Level Contributor
758 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to go

Well, it does depend one quite a few factors:

- How much time do you have? - 2 weeks.

- When should this happen? - September/October.

- Budget?

- Where would you most likely fly into? Directly from the US to either Rome or Milan? Or perhaps connectin in another European Hub, with the possibility of flying into other smaller Italian Airports?

- Fly in and out from the same airport or from two different ones?

- What are your interests? Art? Culture? History? Cuisine?

- Do you like big Cities (well for European Standards) with century or millenia old history?

- Or perhaps do you prefer the Country-side? The sea? Mountains?

- Would you prefer spending your time in 1 or 2 places, or perhaps travel to more (3 can be done comfortably, 4 if you push it a bit, more would be cramped)

- Would you say that you will probably return to Italy to visit areas you did not visit during your first visit?

- Perhaps you would like to get a first impression of a variety of places, and return on some other vacation to see more and better of that which you tasted during this first time?

- Or would you say that the world is so full of countries and places, that this might be your only trip to Italy?

I concur with sydneynick a guide book might be a good idea to start.

You could look around a bit on this Forum, to see some Itineraries that others are asking about, and planning to do, to work out your own.

Edited: 02 February 2013, 01:05
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
949 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to go

I would DIY. Rick Steve's book Europe Thru the Backdoor covers all the topics you would have to address when doing Europe on your own. I bought a used 2011 book for $3 from Amazon. This is a book on logistics and planning and is not destination specific although it does have a nice overview of some popular European destinations.

You can do it.

Eichstätt, Bayern...
Level Contributor
758 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to go

Oh, gotta agree DIY is absolutely and totally doable.

After all, Italy is not some Backwoods Developing Nation, but a Founding Member of the EU and a Member of the G8.

Though the Italian Republic only has come into existence 67 years ago, and the preceding Kingdom of Italy 85 years before that. The places, towns, cities have been around for Centuries, and in some cases for Millenia. A lot of info has been written in that time.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,211 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to go

Here's another vote for the Rick Steves books. They're specifically designed for Americans traveling to Europe for the first time. If you buy his Italy book, you don't really need to buy the Through the Back Door book, as it pretty much incorporates that book into it.

Another great guidebook series is the DK Eyewitness Travel Guides.

Happy travels.

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: where to go

thanks everyone for your advice. will get the tour book and do more research

bedford
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to go

Hi Pittsburgh Rose,, I am planning the exact same trip..17 days and trying to figure out where I want to go.

Michaelseattle --- is the DK Eyewitness Travel guides..the basic Itally one..I saw quite a few Italy ones.

8. Re: where to go

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2014, 05:18