We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which one as a base is better? Cinque Terre? Or Genoa

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
219 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Which one as a base is better? Cinque Terre? Or Genoa

I have 3 nights in staying either in Cinque Terre or Genoa. I found that it is really expensive to find an accomdation in Cinque Terre although I have booked a twin room in Monterossso at $139 Euro per night. Now I found that the hotel is a bit cheaper in Genoa. (around 80 Euro). My questions are:'

1. Do I have enough time to visit Cinque Terre within one day (all 5 fishing village) if I stay overnight in Genoa?

2. If I stay in Cinque Terre, it seems I got more time to explore the beautiful surrounding, But I need to pay for the high rate for room. very struggling......!

3. If I go to Cinque Terre from Genoa, which mode of transport is you suggest? by boat/ by train? How about if I go from Milan?

Thanks in advance.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which one as a base is better? Cinque Terre? Or Genoa

With 80 euro or less, you could stay at the Locanda Del Papa in La Spezia or the Arcidiacono affittacamere in Bonassola reducing a lot the train fares.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,516 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which one as a base is better? Cinque Terre? Or Genoa

It takes well over an hour each way on the train between Genoa and the Cinque Terre, costing between €13.60 and over €20 return So to save very little money, you'll waste a lot of time.

You could also look for accommodation in Sestri Levante.

Edited: 10 February 2013, 12:08
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
219 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Which one as a base is better? Cinque Terre? Or Genoa

How about if I stay in La Spezia (look for the room for about 80-90 euro) Will it be too time-consuming to visit Cinque Terre within 2 days? How much of the train ticket for two ways? What is the train time table?

Thanks

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,516 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which one as a base is better? Cinque Terre? Or Genoa

La Spezia to Riomaggiore, the nearest village, costs €2.10 one way and takes from 7 minutes. To Monterosso, the furthest village, costs from €2.70 and takes from 14 minutes. You could also purchase a Cinque Terre train card from the tourist office at la Spezia train station at €10 for one day or €19 for two days which gives you unlimited train travel on Regional trains (not InterCities) between la Spezia and Levanto, and the right to walk on the coastal path for which you must otherwise buy a separate card.

For train times see http://www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html - use a date this week to see fares.

5. Re: Which one as a base is better? Cinque Terre? Or Genoa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2014, 06:17