We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does this trip seem possible

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
443 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Does this trip seem possible

I will be leaving August 29th from the U.S. and will arrive in Rome on August 30th. I will be Rome August 30 through September 1st. Vatican City September 2nd but I don't know if two days are needed. Florence September 3rd and 4th. Pisa September 5th Milan everyone says to goto because it is the fashion capitol but I can shop in New York City so I am not sure if I should spend the last two days in Naples prior to flying out the morning of the 8th. If I goto Naples I would want to see Pompei and I just don't think I would have enough time to see Naples properly and goto Pompei. Last year I did Venice, Verona, Stra, Trieste and Padova.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
11,673 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does this trip seem possible

Wow, that's a lot of dashing around. If your last trip was as packed and rushed, did you enjoy it? Do you remember much of what you saw and did?

Personally, I think going all the way up to Milan to shop is misguided. There is virtually nothing anywhere that you can't buy at home, either in a shop or on line. If that's your only reason for going north, don't bother.

What do you want to see in Vatican City? A full day there is sufficient for most people, unless you have a deep and/or specific interest.

Where are you flying home from? If it's Rome, you'll probably need to spend the night before there, as most flights to the US leave in the morning and you can't get there in time from Naples.

If that's the case, you may want to rethink your itinerary so you end your trip in Rome.

Edited: 11 February 2013, 01:12
Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
443 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does this trip seem possible

I did enjoy the trip last year and remember all of it. It was around 9 months ago. In ten days I saw Bled Slovenia, Lipica Slovenia, the capitol of Slovenia (which could have been skipped), and the locations in italy that I mentioned. Trieste was not a full day, Venice was 3 days, Stra was a day. Verona was 1.5 days. I was out and about from 8am until I went to sleep. I am flying out of Milan if I goto Milan but will fly out of Rome if I cut out Milan and goto the Naples region.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
11,673 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does this trip seem possible

Well, here's what I would do in your place.

I'd land in Rome either take a commuter flight to Florence, or take the train from the airport into Rome and switch there for a train to Florence. Day trip from Florence to Pisa.

Then take the train from Florence to Naples and spend several days there.

Finally, take the train from Naples to Rome and spend the rest of your time there.

This allows you to get to all the places on your list (other than Milan) while minimizing the checking in/checking out stuff. It also puts you in Rome just prior to your flight home.

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
443 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does this trip seem possible

Thanks so much. That makes sense. Everyone talks about how great Milan is but I am more interested in Naples so I will go there instead and I agree it is better to be close to Rome just prior to my flight back to the states. Plus, the flights to the states from Rome are much better than from Milan.

5. Re: Does this trip seem possible

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2014, 07:17