We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 days in Italy - how to plan?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
8 days in Italy - how to plan?

Hi,

Me and hubby are traveling to Italy arriving Jun 25th evening and leaving Jul 3rd morning both land and leave from Rome. We read enough to know we have enough time for two locations. Our plan is to spend 3 says in Rome leave Jul 28th evening go to Florence by train and spend few days there. We have to be back in Rome Jul 2nd evening to catch our plan in the morning. I really want to see Tuscany, Florence, but have no idea how to divide the time. My initial plan was to stay two nights in Florence, possibly take a day trip to Tuscany (but is it enough to enjoy Tuscany?) and possibly get a car and drive back to Rome by the coast, stop on the way and spend the night somewhere else. My goal is to focus on the area between Rome and Florence and see the best parts of it. If you have any recommendations on places to see, to drive back to Rome or not, where to stop, best way to split the time after Rome to see Tuscany and the best places in that area, I would greatly appreciated it. Thank you in advance for your help.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,472 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 days in Italy - how to plan?

It appears that you have nine nights on the ground in Italy. So say 25,26,27 in Rome, 28th rent a car, drive to Xwhere (maybe southern Tuscany or Chianti), stay in that area, in one accommodation, for 28,29,30. Drive to Florence on 31, early, turn in car at airport, taxi into town, stay in Florence nights of 31, 1st. late on the 2nd take the fast train to Rome (approx 90 minutes), and stay somewhere close to the bus service or close to the airport.

Something like this should be workable. Buy a guidebook and spend some time reading to locate Xwhere, there are 415,000 wonderful candidates.

(Or perhaps, if, say, Xwhere is Siena, turn in the car there and take the bus or train into Florence - would probably be more time-efficient)

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,432 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 days in Italy - how to plan?

Consider also continuing to Florence/Tuscany area when you land in Rome and spend your X number of days there then come to Rome and spend the rest of your days there. If this itinerary is workable for you it helps by saving you another move and hence a change of accommodation.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 days in Italy - how to plan?

I agree!

You definitely have time to mix in some Tuscan countryside. I actually don't mind the idea that Roadgard floated:

1. Roma - for a few days.

2. Drive up to some fabulous place in the Tuscan countryside of your choosing, stay there and explore for a couple of days.

3. Drop the car off in Florence, explore Florence and train back down for a final night in Rome.

Some folks prefer (as Mothergirl notes) to head right out to Tuscany after arriving in Rome and clumping their Rome days all together at the end. For me, I'm often pretty beat when I arrive in Fiumicino, and enjoy just settling into Rome for a bit. I don't mind that last night in Rome at the end to visit Piazza Navona or some other favorite spot one last time!

Now, as Roadgard said, where to go for step 2?

TONS of choices. I like the Val D'Orcia...it's a region of classic Tuscan hills and cypress, great wines.

I would book my accommodation soon since you're planning for the high season so some places will be booked. You can use the map feature under Tripadvisor B&Bs to see what is well rated in particular regions you are interested in:

http://tinyurl.com/b94mbt5

For example, you could stay in Pienza:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g644280-d575093…

Or Montepulciano, for example,

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g194833-d141237…

Or stay in an Agriturismo in the countryside, and daytrip to the Hilltowns.

We stayed here, for example, and it was perfect!

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g644269-d579173…

Think about where you want to go in the middle. Between Rome and Florence. What kind of experience do you want?

-Karl

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 days in Italy - how to plan?

P.S.,

I see that this place, Casali di Bibbiano, has received some high praise lately in the Tuscany discussion forums:

http://www.casaliwinery.com/accommodations/

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187893-i67-k51885…

-Karl

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
933 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 days in Italy - how to plan?

I agree with post #2 - land in Rome and go directly to Tuscany/Florence and then do Rome so you will be where you need to be for your flight. This will allow you to only have one hotel change.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,472 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 days in Italy - how to plan?

I agree that the suggestions about going directly to Tuscany on landing are good ideas. If you were coming in early enough, I would say do that. if you come into Rome after 6 or 7 or so, then it might require careful logistics (and maybe a little bit of luck) to get you into a place in Tuscany that night.

7. Re: 8 days in Italy - how to plan?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2014, 07:15