We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Packing list

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
381 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Packing list

Anyone have a good packing list, for spending 30 days in Italy. I am packing for 3 kids and two adults. We will start trip mid june

Edited: 25 February 2013, 05:08
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,182 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Packing list

The most important thing is that all clothes go with all other clothes and that you have layers so you can warm up/cool down as required.

Remember you will need to cover up for churches, so long trousers for the guys and a skirt below the knee or at least capri pants for girls, and a sleeved top, like a T shirt, polo, whatever.

Personally, I travel with

4x plain T shirts; 2x slacks; 1x sweater; 2x long sleeve blouse (which can double as an additional layer); 6x undies; 2x bras. A pair of good shoes for walking and a pair of sandals I can walk in all day. I also pack a linen dress, lightweight, for stinky hot days, a wrap for cooler nights, several scarves, a light nightie and my silk shirt and lightweight black wool slacks for posh occasions. A spray jacket and an umbrella. Because our trips usually cover several seasons, I travel in a lightweight coat and Nick always wears a sports jacket onto the plane. A tiny amount of costume jewellery, nothing I can't afford to lose. My colour scheme is red, grey and black. I did include white one year but it gets dirty very quickly and it is not always easy to find laundromats.

I always pack a swimsuit and never use it but I imagine the kids might. Some sort of hat as you are going in summer.

With toiletries, I always carry a bag that unfolds and hangs on the rail. That way you don't have to unpack all the lotions and potions or find shelf space for them.

I think Rick Steves has some reasonable packing tips. And unless the kidz are very small, they should all be able to manage their own luggage. One suitcase and one small day bag/carry on each.

As a note, a 24" suitcase, when packed but not expanded, weighs just under 20kg. You don't want anything bigger than this.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
9,630 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Packing list

Type - packing tips - in the search bar above the posts, here's one thread from January. Pack light, what you can comfortably manage, especially on trains. Good, comfortable walking shoes are a must.

tripadvisor.com/…46312666

3. Re: Packing list

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2014, 07:15