We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Packing - keeping it simple

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
28 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Packing - keeping it simple

We are visiting Rome, Sorrento, and several towns in Tuscany for the first part of May. To keep my packing simple and light, I'm thinking of packing five travel-friendly dresses and a cardigan or two. Why bother trying to mix and match tops and bottoms? Anyone ever done this?

Orefield
Level Contributor
39 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Packing - keeping it simple

Hi, I can't say I have ever been to Italy or ever packed even remotely on the light side. However, I am trying to figure out how the pack for three weeks in Italy in September and first week of October - all in a carry on bag as suggested by so many. So, actually your idea of travel friendly dresses with cardigans sounds great to me. I love the idea. Friends have told me that dresses are easy, do not require the same space as pants and tops and can be dressed up and down. As long as they are not too short, you can wear them anywhere. I understand arms and knees need to be covered to enter churches. I will keep your idea in mind.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
28 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Packing - keeping it simple

A couple of my dresses are longer for churches. I might also bring a couple pairs of leggings in case it's cool - I can just add them to the dress.

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,171 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Packing - keeping it simple

Ciao PJD from another Portlander! Yes, the more I travel to Italy (carry-on only), the more dresses I pack. In fact, I will be in Positano for a week in June and will bring nothing but dresses. Leggings work great in case things get chilly. You can also pick up a couple of inexpensive scarves during your travel to help mix things up.

The only issue with bringing only dresses is that I tend to get bored with what I am wearing, especially since I tend to change clothes before dinner. So I also throw in 1 or 2 skirts and a couple of nicer t-shirts or tanks that I can mix and match. I don't bother with pants anymore - too hot for me when I am walking around all day.

Have a great time!!

Orefield
Level Contributor
39 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Packing - keeping it simple

Have you ever been to the central or northern part of Italy in September and October? Would dresses work at this time. I love the suggestion of leggings! Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,272 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Packing - keeping it simple

This passion for carry-on only is an option mainly for Americans who seem to have airline allowances of unlimited weight. Try travelling carry-on only with a 7kg (15lb) limit which is what you get from Australia and most other places. Note that if you intend to fly internally in Italy that the allowance will be completely different.

We have travelled in Europe for up to 12 weeks, so have needed trans-seasonal clothes. I pack one very light, cool dress but apart from that my wardrobe is black, red and grey, two pairs of slacks, 4 T shirts, an overblouse, one sweater, one wrap. I also pack very light weight "dressy" slacks and a silk blouse and I wear an edge to edge lightweight coat. Leggings I can wear under slacks and a banlon undershirt add an additional layer against cold. My biggest weight is shoes, wear one pair, pack another and some walking sandals and then I have to sneak in the dressy sandals as well.

Overall, we weigh in at about 16kg (35lbs) at the start of the trip and that is about the limit I want to be moving around these days.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
4,354 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Packing - keeping it simple

The problem with dresses is that if you spill something down the top half, then that's the bottom half gone, too.

Orefield
Level Contributor
39 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Packing - keeping it simple

Thank you. That list is so helpful.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
28 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Packing - keeping it simple

That is what soap is for. Or a sweater or tshirt on top.

9. Re: Packing - keeping it simple

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2014, 05:16