We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting the italian Lakes

Staffordshire
Level Contributor
165 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting the italian Lakes

Hi everyone

Having visited Italy three times in the last two years and really getting a good feel for the country My wife and I would like to make our first visit to the lakes but which one!!!.

I would be grateful for any suggestions about where to stay . We like sightseeing and visiting places rather than lying by a pool.I do not want to hire a car so any help on where to stay and what to see and how to get about would be a big help.We are planning to visit in mid September for about ten days.

Many thanks Al.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,267 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting the italian Lakes

Its a matter of choice, I prefer Garda for its contrasts the North is Mountainous, the south flat but so many nice villages around the lake a very good ferry system, Lake Como probably the prettiest,lake and some lovely villages, I personally would put Maggiore at the bottom of my list, they are all lovely and well worth visiting,

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,267 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting the italian Lakes

Its a matter of choice, I prefer Garda for its contrasts the North is Mountainous, the south flat but so many nice villages around the lake a very good ferry system, Lake Como probably the prettiest,lake and some lovely villages, I personally would put Maggiore at the bottom of my list, they are all lovely and well worth visiting,

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,320 posts
387 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting the italian Lakes

It depends what floats your boat really.

Garda - the liveliest

Como - awesomely beautiful

Maggiore - more rugged and quiet?

In ten days you could easily visit all three. Or base in Como in the centre and take day trips or overnighters. Check out www.trenitalia.it for train times and feasibility.

Hi sofe!

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,267 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting the italian Lakes

jean s

Great minds as they say,

Sophie

cardiff UK
Level Contributor
966 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting the italian Lakes

Lago di Garda is absolutely beautiful ,all the lakes are quiet really no nightlife as such just piano bars and singers and outdoor concerts in the Summer. Depending on what you prefer the North of the lake has a backdrop of mountains and is truly stunning. Look at Limone for picturesque prettiness and Italian charm. Malcesine is bigger but still lovely with the castle and the cable car to Monte Baldo. Fabulous walks in the mountains in both these regions with lots of little villages. Bikes for hire, boats for hire or just take the efficient and cheap ferry around the lake and stop off where you want. This is what we do every Summer .

Boston...
Level Contributor
136 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting the italian Lakes

Hello all,

I am a TA employee, and through the nominations submitted, this thread was brought to my attention. First, many compliments on the excellent material submitted here.

Second, I just wanted to let everyone know that I took my first shot at preserving this information in a format that will allow you to link to it without always having to "bump" it to the top. This is with our new TripAdvisor Inside feature, where anyone can edit and update information.

The page is here:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/TravelHome

To see (and edit/create) more Lake District pages, go here:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/TravelHome

Again, this first pass was meant to be exactly that ... a first pass. From here, it's up to you to update and maintain the information, and add things I missed from the thread!!! :-)

Have a great day!

7. Re: Visiting the italian Lakes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 14:20