We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental in Italy with past un-paid traffic fine

california
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Car rental in Italy with past un-paid traffic fine

Hi all,

I traveled to Umbria in the summer of 2010 and on my first day unbeknownst to me, went in a no-driving zone in Orvieto. About 4 months later I received a traffic fine for about 100 Euros but I did not pay it. I now am returning to Italy to visit Sardinia this summer 2013. Do you think I'll have any trouble trying to rent a car? Will the old unpaid ticket appear when I try to rent?

Thanks.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,345 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental in Italy with past un-paid traffic fine

Good luck.

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,516 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental in Italy with past un-paid traffic fine

"when the Elephants forget the Caribineri (traffic) remember".

Pay the freight or do the time .....you cannot beat the system as it mounts up and interest accrues.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,081 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental in Italy with past un-paid traffic fine

My guess is no, but that's just my guess. It would be nice if someone who had had this experience would comment!

After all, you never received a ticket. You knew nothing about it.

Edited: 08 April 2013, 09:05
NY
Level Contributor
3,570 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental in Italy with past un-paid traffic fine

Indeed, let us know what happens. Of course that old fine is not 100 Euros anymore, it is more likely 200 or more Euros by now.

Many people who get these fines say they will never return to Italy because of it.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,081 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental in Italy with past un-paid traffic fine

4 years ago, before I had heard about these cameras, we drove where we weren't supposed to drive in Florence, Parma, Rome, and who knows where else. After we got back, I started reading this forum, and heard about these cameras, and heard from at least one other person I know that they got a ticket about 18 months after they were in Italy. I never got a ticket, so I didn't worry about not having paid anything when I rented a car on our recent trip. So if I were you, I would just go ahead, and hope for the best, but be prepared to spend a few years in jail clearing this up. :-)

Toronto, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental in Italy with past un-paid traffic fine

How was your trip? Did you run into any issues?

7. Re: Car rental in Italy with past un-paid traffic fine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2014, 06:21