We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alitalia Carry-On Weight

Summersville, West...
Level Contributor
1,211 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Alitalia Carry-On Weight

We will be flying from Amsterdam to Palermo, Sicily and are wondering does the airlines actually weigh your carry-ons. I know that they will be within the measurement size, but won't have a chance to weigh it ahead of time before arriving at the airport.

NY
Level Contributor
3,655 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alitalia Carry-On Weight

Hey Charlene,

All my experience with Alitalia is they do weigh all checked luggage. Sometimes they even weigh luggage that otherwise is cabin size and require checking it. But what happens in Amsterdam I don't know for sure.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
33,277 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alitalia Carry-On Weight

I always assume that my cabin baggage will be weighed, and I own a portable scale thing to weigh it on, but have never found it necessary to travel with it. If you are concerned that yours may be overweight for this flight (different contents from when you arrived?), and have a means of redistributing items to pockets or about-to-be-checked-in hold baggage (or companion's hand luggage) if it does turn out to be over, you can usually find an empty check-in desk to weigh it at the airport before you go to the check-in desk for your flight. Then you can adjust its contents before checking in.

If you are prepared to risk it and pay for it if necessary, you can just take a chance on it being weighed at check-in - or subsequently: these days, some airlines do additional checks at the departure gate, although that is usually on dimensions rather than weight (and they ignore plastic bags acquired at the airport),

Edited: 13 April 2013, 18:26
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
103,724 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Alitalia Carry-On Weight

Assume your luggage will be weighed and be mindful that your luggage dimensions conform with European standards - You may be required to place your luggage in a bag gauge.

https:/…hand_baggage.aspx

Vagabonda

4. Re: Alitalia Carry-On Weight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2014, 05:17