We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Venice to Spiez

Melaka, Malaysia
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Train from Venice to Spiez

Hi everyone. I am going to travel by train from Venice to Interlaken Ost on 4.5.2013.

I plan to travel from Venice to Spiez via Milan. Then from Spiez I shall buy a half fare card so that I can use it when I buy the ticket from Spiez to Interlaken.

My question is whether is it necessary for me to buy the ticket from Venice to Spiez in advance or I can just buy the ticket in Venice train station when I reach Venice on 1.5.2013.

Is it possible that the ticket from Venice to Spiez sold out? I check Trenitalia and it shows that train from Venice to Milan is €29 and ticket from Milan to Spiez is N.A. What does that means? Is it cheaper to buy the ticket from Venice to Milan now or the price will be the same on 1.5.2013?

Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Interlaken
Interlaken
Bernese Oberland, Switzerland
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
37,071 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Venice to Spiez

You cannot buy certain train tickets more than a week in advance. This is probably the problem you are encountering. You can use a date within a week of today to see the prices and schedules. These won't change before your trip.

No one can say if the price for the Venice to Milan trip will be the same or more. It depends on if the cheaper seats are still available or not. I would buy now to get the lowest price if you are set on your travel dates.

Donna

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,401 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Venice to Spiez

There is no problem buying Milano Centrale to Spiez on www.trenitalia.com if you click the British flag first to get English (I suspect you've been using the site in italian, which would require you to click the Tutti i Treni button first). However I can't get the cheap prices off it today, only the full fare at €62 for the small number of direct trains, e.g. the 11.25 which is probably the best train for you.

Instead, go to www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp… - enter Milan and Spiez etc. click Continue, then choose Smart 2 from the drop-down Select Your Fare menu for a price of €32. These tickets are only available up to seven days in advance, and you have missed the cheaper Smart fare of €22 which is available up to 14 days in advance, if not sold out.

Tickets must be collected from a ticket machine in Venice or Milan using the code supplied by e-mail and the name used to purchase.

Edited: 21 April 2013, 13:56
Mentioned in this post
Milano Centrale
Milano Centrale
2,717 Reviews
Milan, Italy
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Melaka, Malaysia
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Venice to Spiez

Is it possible that the tickets will be sold out when I reach Venice on 1.5.2013? If that's not quite possible I think I will probably buy it when I reach Venice as I don't trust the purchase online and credit card issue, in this case I I have no choice but to pay higher for the tickets.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,401 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Venice to Spiez

it's unlikely the tickets will be sold out, and highly unlikely if you buy on arrival in Venice rather than on the day.

I would imagine that tens of thousands of people buy online from Trenitalia every day without encountering any problems - but it's your choice to pay the extra!

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Melaka, Malaysia
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Venice to Spiez

After looking at all the price quoted for advance purchase, it is really very much cheaper. Like from Venice to Milan, I think if book 1 month ahead is €9 but for my journey on 4.5.13, the price is € 29, it's a bit heart ache that there is so much of different. Is it all the tickets are discounted in this way such as ticket from Rome to Florence and Florence to Venice?

By booking online, is it the Trenitalia side will send me a confirmation email on my booking with all the details? I only need to key in all the details in the ticket machine? Will it take a long time to do so? How much time I should allocate for this ticket collecting task when I reach Milan before I take my train from Milan to Spiez?

Really appreciate your reply.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Melaka, Malaysia
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Venice to Spiez

Another question, after thinking I have decided to buy all the tickets in Italy online. When I buy the ticket through the website perillizia at your post 2. Paragraph 2, I cannot proceed after choosing the train that I want, it keeping popping out this message "e' necessario selezionare una soluzione". I guess they ask me to buy return ticket as the column to choose return train is out after I confirm my train from Rome to Florence, why is this happening?

I do not need a return ticket, please help.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Florence
Florence
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,401 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Venice to Spiez

Sorry - I can't replicate your problem. The message you are getting appears in the Italian version of this website if you don't select a train, but not on the English version.

Use www.trenitalia.com - buying from Roma Termini to Firenze S M Novella

If you buy a Milan-Spiez ticket, you can also pick it up in Rome or Florence or Venice, it doesn't have to be in Milan. So pick it up earlier, so if you have any difficulties you can seek assistance from Trenitalia staff.

Mentioned in this post
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Florence
Florence
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Melaka, Malaysia
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Venice to Spiez

When I choose smart 2 for ticket from Milan to Spiez, it appear that there is no availability for the chosen fare, ask me to select new fare and retry later. What does that means? Is the the smart 2 not available anymore or is it too early for me to buy now? I am booking for trip on 4.5.13.

Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,401 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Venice to Spiez

I have no problem in booking a Smart 2 on the 11.25 to Spiez for that date.

From the timing of your post, I suspect you were trying to book in the middle of the Italian night when work was being done on the website. Things often go wrong at that time, and much behind-the-scenes work is now happening to put post-June 8 times online.

Another alternative is that the website is no longer functional when connecting to Malaysian ISPs.

1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from Venice to Spiez

it's true that the ticket from this link is cheaper as the smart fares are available where trenitalia.com runs out already. But is it a legitimate site? I tried to navigate from official website www.trenitalia.com to the following page, but can't seem to find it.

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…