We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about packing

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Questions about packing

Hi I'm going to Italy for two weeks starting on June 3rd and I had two packing related questions:

1. I need to shop for luggage and I was wondering what type and size everyone would recommend? I plan on bringing a small nylon crossbody for during the day.

2. For the churches does a skirt that comes to the very top of the knee fall in like with the dress code? I plan on trying to wear either ankle pants of leggings on Vatican days, but I don't want to be caught in the wrong clothing if we happen upon a church.

Thanks so much for any advice!!

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,177 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about packing

1. Check with your airline and find out the maximum size for carry-on luggage and then buy accordingly. I take one wheeled piece of luggage that is carry-on size and then one large bag as my "personal item" and I have done 3 weeks in Italy no problem. No need to worry about lost and/or damaged luggage and wasting time waiting around for your luggage to arrive.

2. It really depends on the church. Some are stricter than others. My skirts hit right at the knee and I have only had a problem once. But I also tie a thin (gauzy) scarf to my purse and I was able to wrap that around my waist to sufficiently cover my knees - I also use it to cover my shoulders if I am wearing tank tops. Most of my skirts have an elastic waist and I can pull them down to cover my knees if necessary.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about packing

Thanks, that is helpful. I'm going to buy a large thin scarf for my shoulders and hopefully it will be small enough to stuff in my purse. I just have to find one!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about packing

Pack light. Something like a "22 suitcase should be enough but buy something with four wheels as it will be much easier to oull along at the airport and train stations. Try to pack clothes that are easily washable and can be dried quickly. I dont use laundries but wash my clothes in the basin of the hotel bathroom.

Edited: 01 May 2013, 23:55
San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about packing

Jeans would be very hot in Italy in June, and also do not dry fast.

Shoes should be well cushioned and broken in already. you will walk a lot more than you ever did before.

It can still rain, so you'll need a light rain jacket with hood or umbrella to pack in your purse, the lighter the better.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
933 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about packing

My sister, who has spent the last 30+ years traveling worldwide on business has tried all the latest and greatest when it comes to luggage. Her most recent purchase was Eagle Creek and their packing cubes. She only does carry on, does not check bags. She really likes the packing cubes. She is happy with her latest buy - carry on and backpack.

Checkout the Eagle Creek website.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about packing

I do like the idea of a carry on, but I'm worried my liquids wouldn't fit in the pint sized bag required for our layover at JFK (flying from LAX). I have very long hair and will to bring at least 4 hair products, then sunscreen, bug spray, etc etc. I hate buying these things while on vacation because usually the prices are crazy. Anyone have tips for that. I can try the cosmetic jars for some items (my foundation for one) but for shampoo and conditioner and sunscreen I need over 3oz.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions about packing

A euro here, a euro there, if you can buy some stuff there, you'll really appreciate carryons once you get to Europe and start moving around. I always enjoy shopping in drugstores just to see what they have there. After all, Europeans have the same "hair issues" as we do. And the hotels do have shampoo, soap and sometimes conditioner. Does your hair have to be perfect all the time?

How about filling up 3 oz bottles, and if you have to jettison some, you do. Maybe you'll get through. They would give you a choice of what you might have to dump.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions about packing

Yea that would be fine. My hair doesn't have to be perfect at all and I'm not going to bother with any flat irons or anything, but I seriously go though a lot of shampoo and conditioner in 14 days.

If I shop a lot should I just buy a bag to check in luggage at the end?

United States
Level Contributor
9,599 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions about packing

While the 22" bag I usually take is technically carry on, I check it with my bigger that 3-1-1 liquids and I travel for 6-9 weeks at a time. I also pack a folding light weight duffle for use as a laundry/shopping bag and in case I buy too many things to bring home. Then I have a backpack with wheels that I use as my carry on for electronics, a change or two of clothes, purse items, reading material, etc. I pack my purse. That way I have only two bags to wrangle through airports and trains.

In the next month, measure out 3 oz of shampoo/soap what ever and see how long that lasts you so you have a good idea of how much to bring. I know that 3 oz of shampoo lasts me almost 3 weeks and 3 oz of bath soap lasts me 8-10 days. A 3 oz travel size pump hair spray lasts me 2 months.

I, too, like Eagle Creek bags, They stand up pretty well to baggage handlers. I also have bought the Rick Steves brand bags, He has an expandable 22" bag that is good when you've made extra purchases but then it has to be checked. They have his name on them but you could find out the maker and buy the unbranded ones if you don't like the Rick Steves empire.

TAB

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
933 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions about packing

My husband had a slightly larger than carry on size. This size was still very manageable for him and we used it for our liquids. I was thinking about taking a duffle inside a suitcase to use on the return should we have souvenirs but I just bought a bag in Italy. On the return we checked our bags (1 each was free) and I just carried the new bag I bought on the plane.