We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Ticket Times

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
104 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Train Ticket Times

Hi everyone!

I'm about to book my train tickets for my two week trip to Italy, but wanted to run the times by everyone first. We will be staying at the following places for the specified number of days:

Venice - 2 nights

Rome - 3 nights

Florence - 5 nights

Sorrento - 2 nights

Rome - 2 nights

I have the following itinerary for the train rides:

Venice -> Rome - 9:25AM

Rome -> Florence - 10:05AM

Florence -> Naples - 8:04AM (catch a local train to Sorrento after)

Naples -> Rome - 10:00AM

Do you think that these times will work well including the walk to the train stations (all are within walking distance) and wait times? I just want to make sure we're not booking to early or late.

Thank you very much for the help!

Turin
Level Contributor
6,651 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Ticket Times

Sorry for not answering to your question, but is there a particular reason why you're going south to Rome, then north to Florence, then south again to Naples and Sorrento?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,413 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Ticket Times

I wondered that too - would have made sense to go to Venice, then Florence, then Naple/Sorrento and then north to Rome to spend your time there and fly out.

I am also not sure I understand your question - leaving too late or too early, for what?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
104 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Ticket Times

We originally planned to go to Florence, then Rome, but there was an event in Florence that limited the availability of hotels and increased the prices dramatically. In addition, we are leaving from Rome, so we decided to spend a few days there, travel to Sorrento, then spend our last remaining days in Rome again.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
104 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Ticket Times

When I say "leaving too late or early", I am mostly just wondering if these times would allow us to get the most out of our vacation without being too exhausted from waking up too early. This is the first major vacation that I've planned, so I wasn't sure of the norm. I wanted to confirm that there wasn't anything inherently wrong with the times we had planned.

Edited: 09 May 2013, 19:22
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,413 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Ticket Times

Oh, it's unfortunate because there will be some wasted travel time but that's okay; you will be in Italy!

I am a very early riser - some people like to sleep later so, really, whether that schedule works for you, only you know. It is good to leave early for Rome from Venice because it is nearly a 4 hour train ride and the time you have is fine; same for the others.

If you are staying in Sorrento, you will need to leave Sorrento in time for the train from Naples to Rome, so that will be an earlier day; that local train takes roughly 60-70 minutes (some of these trains make more stops than othes) and then you will likely want to be at the Naples train station at least 15 minutes before your train - so, I'd leave Sorrento about 2 hours before my Naples train (I'm conservative when it comes to travel times - I err on the side of possibly having too much time before my train/plane vs worrying whether I will miss it by cutting close). It's up to you.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Ticket Times

I really hate having superfluous changes of hotel. If you really have to backtrack, I would at least eliminate one hotel change. I would go from Venice to Sorrento, then to Florence, and then return to Rome for five days. I find that I never get much done on a travel day, even if it's a fairly short trip.

Even better, I think I would find a way to stay in Florence in between Venice and Naples. Even if it costs more, you'll save some on the train fares, and even more important, you'll gain some precious time.

This is a side point, but Sorrento is a long way out of your itinerary if you'll be spending only two nights there. That gives you really only one full day. What did you plan to do there?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
104 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train Ticket Times

Thank you so much for the help!

We were disappointed. We originally booked our flight with a specific plan in mind, but then when we went to book our hotels, we realized that there were none available in Florence because of a fashion show.

We are going to Sorrento mostly on word-of-mouth. We haven't figured out the exact details of what we plan to do, but we heard that it was one of the most beautiful parts of Italy. We plan to take a day trip to Capri to see the Blue Grotto and a few other places.

Is our agenda so terrible that we should really look to getting it adjusted? We've already booked our flights and our hotels, but we may be able to get out of the hotel reservations if it's absolutely necessary. Going from Venice to Sorrento would be a 7-hour train ride, which would take up a huge portion of one of the two days we're in Sorrento.

I'm open to suggestions. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
104 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train Ticket Times

As a follow-up, I have verified that the only hotel that is non-refundable is the one where we will be spending our final two nights in Rome.

Obviously, I would prefer not to cancel any. However, if we really will be making a big mistake with our agenda, then I would like to fix it while we're ahead.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,413 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Train Ticket Times

This is all part of traveling - sometimes finding out stuff after the fact and learning the hard way; no, your itinerary is not that bad -

I agree with Bvlenci's suggested route - If you want to and can do it - my preferred way would be to fly from Venice to Naples and then go to Sorrento from Naples. EasyJet has pretty inexpensive flights - sometimes less than the train and it won't take 7 hours. Take a look at their schedule to see flights and see if that might work for you.

Arriving from an international flight into Venice will likely leave you pretty jet lagged - so, be ready for that. It can help some people to take it easy that first day - wander, stay outside, take a vaporetto on the Grand Canal, eat, relax - get to bed at a good hour so you can then have a more coherent second day in Venice.

You do have a guidebook, yes? If so, that would have info about Sorrento and the region. If you go to Capri, you can look over www.capri.net to see what is there to explore. It's lovely as long as you flee the congested areas in Marina Grande, where you will arrive from Sorrento and the piazzetta (tiny little square surrounded by designer stores) - it is easy to escape the hordes of people and enjoy some of the island, even if just for one day.

When is this trip? This summer? Fall, when?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
104 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train Ticket Times

Wow, I had never heard of EasyJet. It does seem that a flight would take a little over an hour and cost around 45EUR each. That would be great if we could accomplish that.

We will be travelling from June 15th until June 30th. The Pitti Imagine fashion show will be in Florence from the 18th until the 21st. Our current reservations have us checking in on the 21st.

This means that if we were to go to Sorrento first that we would need to spend three nights there in order to not cancel our Florence hotel. As such, we would be cutting a day off either Florence or Rome. Would you advise against this?

We don't have a guidebook yet. Where can I obtain that one. As I stated earlier, we're both totally new to this, so any advice that you have is greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much for your helpfulness!

Edited: 09 May 2013, 20:16