We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to visit during 4 days northern Italy

Netanya, Israel
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to visit during 4 days northern Italy

Hi everyone,

I'm visiting Milan June 28th, with my girlfriend.

We've got tickets for Bon Jovi concert in Milan (San Siro) on Saturday 30th of June.

We'll be there for 5 days - June 28th to July 3rd. (5 days)

What places / cities in the north would you recommend visiting?

I thought of Milano -> Vernoa -> Venice. Or these in another order

But not sure in between. We like great view, markets, as well as shopping centers. Best known attractions of course (Like san marco in venice, Domou in milan)

Suggestions are much appreciated.

Idan

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
11,300 posts
526 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to visit during 4 days northern Italy

I think these three cities are very well for 5 days, especially Venice would deserve at least two full days, and I wouldn't add other ones. Verona is practical to visit in the day you go from Milan to Venice (or vice versa), it is exactly on the way: you can leave early in the morning from Milan, spend most day in Verona, and arrive in Venice late in the evening.

In Venice I suggest not looking for best known attractions but walking a lot to discover the areas apart the most touristy spots. Venice is itself an attraction, practically each spot of it is amazing, and it can't be reduced to San Marco or Rialto. On the contrary, San Marco is the most touristy and rushed area.

Netanya, Israel
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to visit during 4 days northern Italy

Thank you very much Aristofane.

I'd much appreciate answering few more questions:

Is everything open on Friday and Saturday in Milan? (our 1st day and 2nd day)

Are you familiar with transportation?

Generally - would you recommend to rent a car to travel from Milan to Vernoa/Venice, or travel by train?

I'd rather a train instead of paying for car park every day and having to actually drive/GPS etc

However I'm not sure about our timetable therefore we'll have to but train tickets the day before or at the same day of travel - is it likely to still have tickets available ?

Edited: 12 May 2013, 14:32
Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
11,300 posts
526 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to visit during 4 days northern Italy

Is everything open on Friday and Saturday in Milan? (our 1st day and 2nd day)

Yes. In all Europe the non working day is Sunday. Some offices (typically banks) may be closed on Saturday too, but no problems with shops, cafés, restaurants, museums...

Generally - would you recommend to rent a car to travel from Milan to Vernoa/Venice, or travel by train?

I would recommend train. The connection is fine, and train is faster, more comfortable and cheaper. Moreover, a car is practically useless both in Milan and (of course) in Venice.

I'd rather a train instead of paying for car park every day and having to actually drive/GPS etc

I agree.

However I'm not sure about our timetable therefore we'll have to but train tickets the day before or at the same day of travel - is it likely to still have tickets available

Having tickets sold out is very unlikely. Booking in advance may be convenient to catch some offers, if you want to travel in the fastest (and most expensive) trains Frecciabianca. But most offers allow no change and no refunds, so you should be sure of your schedules. Anyway, from Milan to Venice (with stop in Verona) there are also several regional trains, whose price is constantly low (18.35 euros from Milan to Venice) and which have no offers and need no booking. With regional trains you have to buy a ticket when you want and since you have bought it you can make a journey in a regional train at your choice in the next two months, just remember you must stamp the ticket at the little white/green machines in the stations just before leaving.

Netanya, Israel
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to visit during 4 days northern Italy

Funnu question, but If I do go to Verona for a day travel till the evening, where would i put my luggage ?

5. Re: Where to visit during 4 days northern Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2014, 06:18