We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go in Tuscany

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go in Tuscany

Hi,

We are a group of 4 girlfriends on our first vacation to together to Europe in July. We would like to spend 3 -4 days in Tuscany but do not know the best place to stay. We would like to do some wine tours, sightseeing and get as much of an authentic Tuscan experience as possible. We are open and would welcome any suggestions.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,333 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go in Tuscany

I would suggest the Val d'Orcia, the area around Montalcino, Montepulciano, and Pienza. In my opinion it has the most beautiful scenery in Tuscany and some of the greatest hill towns. Wineries are every where for a tasting or tour. Places such as the Abbey Sant'Antimo, south of Montalcino are great to visit. They still do Gregorian chanting there.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go in Tuscany

Thank you for the suggestion, that sounds wonderful! will look into this option. Would you recommend we get a car for the trip? what about hotels? are there any ones that stand out for you in the area?

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,787 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go in Tuscany

Marsabeba,

This may help slowtrav.com/italy/tuscany/hs_planning.htm

Montelparo, Italy
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go in Tuscany

There is an hotel which stands out in his kind near Arezzo

www.badiacampoleone.it

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go in Tuscany

Thanks for all the suggestions, its been a great help in our planning

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go in Tuscany

we are still planning so any further suggestions will still be welcome

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,366 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go in Tuscany

Definitely hire a car for touring the hill towns. Some tips for driving in Italy

www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/ItalyDrive.htm

and the dreaded limited traffic zones

http://www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/ZTL.htm

be aware most cars for hire are manual transmission (stick shift) and that automatic cars are much more expensive.

I agree that around the Val d'Orcia is absolutely stunning scenery, wonderful towns and great little restaurants. I had the best bruschetta ever, along with a glass of Brunello wine, in a cafe right in the square in Montalcino. Sitting under an umbrella in the sun I saw no reason to actually get up and leave.

Just on the right here

nickbooth.id.au/Europe09/Images/Monte/821-Mo…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to go in Tuscany

Thanks

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
16,953 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to go in Tuscany

Lynn, we stayed two weeks in an apartment that overlooked that square in Montalcino! I know exactly where you were!

I second the Val dOrcia--it's beautiful. Siena was one of our favorite places in Italy. the Chianti region was also gorgeous, especially on misty slightly foggy mornings with the grapes ready for harvest.

10. Re: Where to go in Tuscany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2014, 07:18