We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The last Supper

Hoppers Crossing...
Level Contributor
121 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
The last Supper

Hi, Has anyone seen "The Last Supper?" I have heard it is in poor condition, but still worth visiting. Has anyone else viewed it recently.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,989 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The last Supper

It has been restored not all that long ago, and is well worth seeing.

NY
Level Contributor
3,574 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The last Supper

The most recent restoration (of at least a half dozen over its history) was completed about 14 years ago and it is beautiful (how closely it replicates the very original will never be known). It is a far cry from the condition after the bombings and much better than even in the late 50's. But things did happen, like part of it being taken off by a doorway at some point.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,284 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The last Supper

I saw it late last year .... it looks like an old mural, obviously not in pristine condition .... BUT .... it was painted by one of the very few masters of European art, perhaps the greatest one. It is an incredibly important piece of history and not the sort of thing we have a lot of left in the world. Just to be in the same room as it is a privilege especially for an Australian as we don't have many 15th century buildings in this country.

So... if you just want to tick off a few "must sees" don't bother but if you really want to conect to European heritage go see it... and just be awed.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,195 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The last Supper

Go, we saw it last year and it has been restored well. Buy your tickets well in advance, either online or by phone.

NY
Level Contributor
3,574 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The last Supper

Re "must sees" of course it is up to you (but if you are in Milan I think it qualifies).

After a few trips to Italy and being taken through and going through many museums, if I had to pick only one, for many reasons it would be the Scrovegni Chapel in Padova. which can be reached easily from the train station but advance reservations are usually needed.

A problem with these two sites is you only get 15 minutes to view, a challenge especially for the Scrovegni Chapel

Well, that is about the extent of my art appreciation, of course the David is usually on the must see for Florence

Laurel
Level Contributor
8 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The last Supper

I just purchased tickets (and audioguides) online for The Last Supper which I plan to see in early August. I think it is worth seeing. The less than perfect condition of the work is far outweighed by the fact that it is one of the most famous paintings in the entire world.

7. Re: The last Supper

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2014, 06:19