We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help please for September trip

Maryborough...
Level Contributor
178 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Help please for September trip

HI TA folks

My husband and I will be spending some time in Italy in Sept 2013. We have booked a trip around the Amalfi coast .......(we have been to Italy before and been to the bigger areas ie Rome, Venice, Florence

etc....and this time want to see some of the other areas. We will be flying in from Amsterdam on either 2nd or 3rd Sept and we need to be in Rome for at least night of 7th. So with only a few days.....I dont know whether to fly into Milan or to somewhere around Florence---- I 've heard that the Cinque Terre is really lovely...we'd probably just take local trains if we can.

Any suggestions for us please.

New York
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help please for September trip

Are you planning to visit the AC in these 4-5 nights that you're asking about? If so just spend the time there. 4-5 nights is hardly anything for the AC and surrounding areas. Flying into MIlan or Florence doesn't make sense for such a brief trip if you intend to visit the AC in those 5 days.

Maryborough...
Level Contributor
178 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help please for September trip

what is the AC?

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,647 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help please for September trip

AC = Amalfi Coast.

If that's where you want to go, you're best to fly into Rome and take the train to Naples. Maybe Amsterdam even has direct connections to Naples - that would be even better.

Cinque Terre and the Amalfi Coast are nowhere near one another. You will need to choose one or the other as you have a very short time. Maybe check some maps, check TA and have a look at the Amalfi Coast (AC) and Cinque Terre and see which one appeals to you the most.

Montelparo, Italy
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
418 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help please for September trip

Hi, We recommend to visit Montefalco and Bevagna in Umbria, two little medieval gems close each other.

September in Montefalco is also reach of events with many tourists flocking mostly from northern Europe.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help please for September trip

It's best to avoid abbreviations like AC, especially in a forum read by people who speak many different languages. Most Italians would have no idea what you're talking about.

Maryborough...
Level Contributor
178 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help please for September trip

sorry....just to clarify...we are leaving Rome for Amalfi on 8th...but have to choose where to fly into and to see from 3rd to 7th. This is where i wanted some help.....should we check out Milan, Florence, Cinque terre or ?????? i will check out those 2 spots ....thank you. any gems are welcome

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help please for September trip

Am I right with this... you'll arrive somewhere in Italy on Sept 2nd or 3rd, with a few days to fill before then starting a tour of the "AC", for which you need to be in Rome by the 7th?

In that case, you've 4 or 5 nights, plenty of time to explore the Cinque Terre, however - whilst very attractive - perhaps the landscapes there may be a little too similar to what you'll be seeing in the Amalfi area....

For something different, how about an island?

(With apologies in advance, if any of these links don't work now!)

- Elba, from Florence

www.italiantouristoffice.se/sv/docs/612.pdf

www.italiantouristoffice.se/sv/docs/611.pdf

- the Pontines from Rome (small, so perhaps along with a day or two at Sperlonga or Gaeta)

www.italiantouristoffice.se/sv/docs/181.pdf

- Sardinia even, although then probably involving another flight?

www.italiantouristoffice.se/sv/docs/140.pdf

Or indeed Ischia, but perhaps too close to your next destination!

Otherwise, many wonderful places are within easy reach to Rome - so you might dump much of your stuff at a Left Luggage office there, and head off less encumbered?

Try having a look through these for anywhere that may appeal in Lazio - the region immediately surrounding the capital:

Where history meets the sea - "Guide to the archeological treasures of the coast of Lazio"

www.italiantouristoffice.se/sv/docs/81.pdf

Walking through time - Lazio's Parks, castles, monasteries etc

www.italiantouristoffice.se/sv/docs/82.pdf

Two that cover the region's southern coast - Terracina, Sperlonga, Gaeta etc:

www.italiantouristoffice.se/sv/docs/177.pdf

www.italiantouristoffice.se/sv/docs/179.pdf

In the adjoining region of Umbria - there's Perugia, where we once spent a very jolly New Year:

www.italiantouristoffice.se/sv/docs/321.pdf

- or Gubbio, which I've only (often!) seen on TV...

www.italiantouristoffice.se/sv/docs/1772.pdf

It's all rather like having a set of keys to the sweetshop!

Peter

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde

Maryborough...
Level Contributor
178 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help please for September trip

thank you all very much. Cant wait to check out all these tips.....i'll let you know what i come up with ! TA is great huh? especially to get off the beaten track

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,508 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help please for September trip

If you wish to visit some places in the north, I'd fly into Milan. Bologna is a beautiful Medieval city from which you could do some exploring to Parma, Ferrara, Modena (all close by and accessible by train) and then make your way down to Naples (or Salerno , depending on which Amalfi Coast village you are staying) You really do have so many choices but I agree with Peter, I'd probably forego the Cinque Terre give you are spending time (how long?) on the Amalfi Coast.

10. Re: Help please for September trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2014, 05:18