We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Reservations in Advance with Eurail Pass?

Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
39 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Train Reservations in Advance with Eurail Pass?

Hi all,

I'm backpacking through Europe for a month this summer with my sister (for the first time). We purchased Eurail global passes. I know that for some trains you need reservations. My question is--how far in advance do we need to make those reservations? If we wait until we're actually in Europe, will there still be spaces on all of the trains, allowing us to make reservations at a station there? Or do spaces fill up and we should try and make our reservations asap? (We leave in 3 weeks).

Also, never having been to a train station before, how much time is "too little" to make a connection between trains?

Thanks!!

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,132 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Reservations in Advance with Eurail Pass?

if you have not already purchased your Eurail cards, think carefully about it. it is usually cheaper to buy point-to-point tickets, though you are too late now for the cheapest fares so this may not be the case for you. See seat61.com/Railpass-and-Eurail-pass-guide.htm for a full analysis, and advice on how to use your cards throughout Europe..

In italy and for most direct trains from Italy to other countries, you can purchase in advance on www.trenitalia.com - click the British flag at the top for English, proceed as if purchasing a ticket, select a train, then select the message <VIEW OTHER PRICES AND SERVICES (CARTAFRECCIA offers, discount cards,other offers) > and click Continue. Then choose Global Pass from the drop-down menu which appears if you select the arrow by Base in the Offers column.

It is advisable to make reservations on night trains in advance. Day trains within Italy seldom sell out except at a few peak travel times, and if they do there will usually be an alternative train soon after. So there is usually no problem reserving on the day, which can be done at the larger ticket machines as well as at ticket offices.

In Italy, Trenitalia recommends 10 minutes connection time at most stations, but 15 minutes at the largest stations. However trains can always be unexpectedly late in arriving.

Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
39 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Reservations in Advance with Eurail Pass?

Thanks! That was really helpful. Eurail passes are already purchased. And with the amount of hopping between cities we plan on doing, it was the better option for us.

I know this is the Italy forum, but as far as making reservations for night trains in other countries, does that need to be done in advance as well? And if so, is there a way to do that online too?

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,132 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Reservations in Advance with Eurail Pass?

As far as I know, you can make reservations for many of the German night trains on DB rail. You can also probably make reservations for many countries on the Rail Europe website, though this can be more expensive. The Seat 61 website may help.

Note that some night trains, e.g. the Thello trains between France and Italy, are not available at all to people with a Eurail pass. This may also be the case with the Spain-France night trains - I can't remember whether it's that or simply that the Eurail reservation costs are absurdly expensive.

4. Re: Train Reservations in Advance with Eurail Pass?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2014, 06:16