We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Travel for an Asian Female in Italy

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
310 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Solo Travel for an Asian Female in Italy

Hiya all fellow TA users,

Would like to know if it is safe for solo travel in Italy? I am an Asian, female, looking to travel in Europe for 2.5 weeks. Mainly would be using rail transport + hoping to stay in affordable hotels around the budget of Eur 60/night (dare not stay in hostel, unless any recommendations with ensuite bathrooms?).

Italy is one of my top choices! But I have heard of so many stories about Italy travels, so am uncertain if it is OK. Kindly let me know!

Thanks heaps!

Regards,

Panda

Milano
Level Contributor
4,229 posts
398 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo Travel for an Asian Female in Italy

Italy is generally safe, you should pay attention to pickpocketing in certain places (for example when buying tickets at authomatic machines in Milan Central Station) or areas of big towns where usually tourists don't go.

For sure it is not less safe then other countries.

60€ per night may be a limited budget in some cities especially in the pick season but it is not not impossible to find decent rooms at that price booking in advance. In Venice for example I pay 37€ per night in a nuns convent for a room with private bathroom (you have only the limitation to be back before 11pm in the summer - 10.30 in the winter).

Trains are usually good and safe especially the fast ones connecting the main towns, in this case advance booking allow you to save a lot of money but you must be sure not to miss the train as in that case your ticket is rubbish.

Edited: 31 May 2013, 15:02
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,133 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo Travel for an Asian Female in Italy

Italy - as said - is generally very safe. Use common sense precautions with your belongings as you would anywhere. I've been going solo for years and have not had any problems.

You can search for lodging using www.venere.com - you can search at that site by budget.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,843 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo Travel for an Asian Female in Italy

I have traveled alone at least for a few days and with my daughter to many parts of Italy (Rome, Florence, Naples, Sorrento, Pompei, Capri, Ischia, Venice, Ischia, Sicily). I travel with all my euros and my credit cards in a money belt under my clothes because I use public transport often. We have not been hurt or robbed in any of the places we visited and have walked around freely even at night. The only place we were ever harassed because we were women (mostly my 20-year-old daughter), was in Naples.

60 euro/night would be very difficult if you want your own bathroom in big cities like Rome, Florence and Venice.

Spello, Italy
Level Contributor
117 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo Travel for an Asian Female in Italy

If it were me, I'd stick to smaller towns. You can get a wonderful sense for Italian life, but have the security of feeling safer. Plus, these are often less expensive. Just a thought.

Michelle

www.ilbelcentro.com

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
310 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo Travel for an Asian Female in Italy

Hi all,

Noted about things to take note, especially pickpocketing. Ok, I hope I won't meet harassment else I will be quite disturbed. =( And sure I will use money belt too and risk looking to have a huge belly haha. Trying to stick to 60 Euro/night as I have another 2.5 weeks travel with friends after my solo trip, so in all 5 weeks in Europe, costly trip! How do you go about booking a nuns convent?? Really surprised such accommodations are available. I am likely going to rely on booking.com or 3rd party websites to tell me what are recommended and yet within my budget, hopefull get something decent. Or else use hostel websites to poke around and see if any good/comfy looking/clean ones with ensuite and within my budget. Though I am really pondering for a while just now, would you stay in a private room (booked as 2 person though you are alone) with ensuite hostel or would you stay in a budget hotel, cost about the same? Can't decide which may be better, unless one location is really much better than the other. Not sure what other good things of hostel possess that I may not know. Only thing I am not comfortable with in hostel if sharing rooms is the need to use lockers etc, means I can't fall asleep with my laptop lying around, which I tend to do that. So definitely looking at private rooms. Sorry, I know I am picky yet trying to travel on a budget. =(

Italy does seem expensive to travel to. And sure, I would love to see the smaller towns. Must be great for photography! Any small town names to share so I will take note of?

Also, to have a thorough travel of Italy, how long would one recommend? I have been to Rome and Milan briefly when very very young, forgotten most. So wouldn't mind going again.

And wondering if anyone really use rail passes, Eurail pass prices seems rubbish. Global pass (if I am including other countries with Italy) is looking to cost like an air ticket to me from Singapore to Europe. Wow. And yet to include reservations fees and what-nots. Though, I would work out the point-to-point prices after I have some decent itinerary worked out.

Regards,

Panda

6. Re: Solo Travel for an Asian Female in Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2014, 06:16