We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AVOID Auto Europa in Italyu car rental Thrifty and Dollar

mexico
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
AVOID Auto Europa in Italyu car rental Thrifty and Dollar

Hi

I rented a car for a long weekend break in Sicily, Italy with Thrifty and on Palermo airport I realized it was operated by Auto Europa.

To make the story short, when I returned it, a very rude woman demanded that I had to pay for a boot shelve that wasn't there when I rented the car.

They have hold my deposit of £800 for several weeks , have already charged me the car rental and are calling that will charge me £150 for the shelf.

Contacting them is hopeless over the phone, as they are very rude and offer no solution other than going to the police (literally). And the email for customer service never replies.

I have been left with no option, I wonder if someone had similar problem and can suggest alternatives to complain and get my deposit back.

Thanks

and if your are thinking on renting a car in Italy AVOID Autoeuropa / Auto europa, Thrifty can Dollar

Edited: 31 May 2013, 14:09
Milano
Level Contributor
4,230 posts
398 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AVOID Auto Europa in Italyu car rental Thrifty and Dollar

There is a thread also in Italian for the same company, when I discovered it my car was already paid so I decided to do all the possibile insurances (I was frankly afraid)..

It was August 2012 but I must honestly say that I had a very good experiecnce with them.

The rented car was not yet available so they gave me without any charge a much better one and my holidays in Sicily where perfect.

My best friend too had a good experience with them in Puglia last summer while he had a terrible one in Belgium with a wellknown company.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,241 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AVOID Auto Europa in Italyu car rental Thrifty and Dollar

Note that Autoeuropa is not Autoeurope a world wide vehicle rental agency

4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: AVOID Auto Europa in Italyu car rental Thrifty and Dollar

I've had exactly the same experience today with them. They have charged me €397 for damage that was already on the car when I picked it up. Having researched them a bit it seems like standard practice for them. Anyone that has had a good experience with them was just lucky. I too would advise people to avoid them at all costs. I think the EU Unfair Business to Consumer Comercial Practices directive covers this and I fully intend to pursue this and get my money back.

4. Re: AVOID Auto Europa in Italyu car rental Thrifty and Dollar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 July 2013, 20:35
5. Re: AVOID Auto Europa in Italyu car rental Thrifty and Dollar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 July 2013, 21:05
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,547 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AVOID Auto Europa in Italyu car rental Thrifty and Dollar

since bogus charges are pretty much SOP for all auto rental agencies, make sure you do a detailed scan before you leave and mark every piddly thing on the chart that comes with the rental agreement. refuse to leave until they sign off on pre-existing damages. in Rome hertz actually has a stamp they can put on our paperwork that says nothing under 5 cm will be charged as damaged -- but you have to insist on marking every piddly scratch on the car before they bring this out. and make sure you have a permanent copy of your paperwork noting all this, that is signed and dated by them. we have had agencies try to confiscate this evidence on car return.

we learned this the hard way -- same with gas -- have a receipt for fill up near the rental return so you can dispute bogus gas charges as well. skinning customers is the business model and while some agencies are more crooked than others, they are all aggressive about scalping the customer.

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: AVOID Auto Europa in Italyu car rental Thrifty and Dollar

Sad though ain't it janettravels?!

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: AVOID Auto Europa in Italyu car rental Thrifty and Dollar

Rented through Holiday Autos in the UK, they made the booking through Auto Europa (Sicily by Car).

Months later Auto Europa send me a letter telling me that they have debited a 61 euro "handling fee" from my card for a traffic fine, but the traffic fine was many hours after I had returned the car - probably one of their own staff! Worse, they have supplied this incorrect information to the police.

Of course I get no response from them, but I have also complained to Holiday Autos (who have decent customer service). However even Holiday Autos can't get a response out of them!

I rent frequently for business and leisure in the UK, Italy and the US and Auto Europa are by far the worst company I have dealt with.

Haifa, Israel
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: AVOID Auto Europa in Italyu car rental Thrifty and Dollar

It happend to me too!!!

Haifa, Israel
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: AVOID Auto Europa in Italyu car rental Thrifty and Dollar

anyone know how to reach their costumer service?

e-mail?