We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Ticket Prices

Mobile, Alabama...
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Train Ticket Prices

My husband and I are vacationing in Italy in August. I've never used a travel agent before, but his family has used one for years--so we went to them to book our hotels and train tickets between cities. They just emailed us with the train ticket prices....for two people--Rome/Florence and Florence/Venice-- they said the cost is $1,250?!? I've looked online at trenitalia and italoreno--I can't find anything that expensive. Is there some crazy cost I don't know about or do I have a terrible travel agent?

Side note-- anyone have a preference as to which train is better? I just care that it gets us to our destinations on time and that its clean and safe.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,616 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Ticket Prices

The fast train between Rome & Florence is 1h27m and 43 Euro, between Florence and Venice its 2h05m and 45 Euro, second class which is perfectly fine. The total of 176 Euro for 2 ($230.00 US). Did the travel agent put a $1,000 fee on them?

There are economy fares that sell out quick, such as 9 Euro, 19 Euro and 29 Euro. (non refundable or changeable).

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,101 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Ticket Prices

I would first confirm that those are the true prices or they made some mistake with a decimal or something.

The www.trenitalia.com prices are accurate - there is no better source; it is the source as it is the site for the Italian train system.

Use station names: Roma Termini, Firenze S M Novella and Venezia S Lucia

The faster trains cost a bit more (but, again, with a discount could be an incredible bargain - I have saved hundreds of euros but discounted fares sell out and once gone, they are gone). I only travel 2nd class as it is comfortable and nice and certainly nice enough for such short trips. There are some slower trains that are less pricey.

Not sure if some discounted fares are still available but there may be some for your dates but if you buy one of the discounted fares, be sure to read the terms and conditions (i.e., if you miss the train, you lose the ticket completely, etc) - BUT, if you are certain of your dates/times of travel and you find discounted fares, you can save quite a bit of money.

IF that is the actual price quoted you by the travel agent - they are ripping you off as a dumb tourist and you should dump them ASAP.

Mobile, Alabama...
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Ticket Prices

Great info!! Thank you both for your help!

Mobile, Alabama...
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Ticket Prices

Just a follow up...

So I talked to my travel agent and they had quoted us the wrong prices. But, we still ended up booking the tickets ourselves through trenitalia. She told me the company priced directly with Rail Europe. The price is for two people, and two trains (rome to florence and florence to venice) Their price was $330 for "economy" and $470 for "comfort". I got us tickets round trip to Naples, rome to florence, and florence to venice for $280-- first class and business class. So, if anyone is wondering about where to book--book directly through the rail provider. Trenitala.com or italotreno.it. (both companies were pretty close in price.)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,101 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Ticket Prices

Also - people should be aware that there's not all that much difference between second and first class and, especially, for such short train trips, it is not really needed to spend the difference in price. If people want to spend the extra, then sure they can but the differences are minimal between the classes.

6. Re: Train Ticket Prices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2014, 05:17