We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best wines in Italy

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Best wines in Italy

I will be in Italy next month and want to know what are the best wines to try and buy. I am looking to spend about 25 but can go up to 50 for a bottle or two. We like sweet to semi sweet (which I know Italy isn't know for) and want a good mix of white and reds. Customs will allow 5 liters per person that is so we plan on getting about 10 bottles. Any suggestions.

We will be in Venice, Florence, Rome, and Sorrento.

Thanks in advance for any help

Milano
Level Contributor
4,123 posts
383 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best wines in Italy

Our Country has hundreds of very good wines, every Region has its bests.

Sweet wines are usually served with old cheese or desserts, Sicilian ones are very good and reasonably priced, you may try Passito di Pantelleria but again in more or less every Region there are sweet wines, for example a good red one is Recioto (Veneto Region).

A white wine not sweet but mostly aromatic is gewurztraminer produced in Alto Adige.

I will try to give you some suggestions probably considering my personal taste.

Good and famous wines: sparking dry white (spumanti) mostly produced in Lombardia (Bellavista) or Trentino (Ferrari), the prosecco of Veneto, the famous whites of Friuli (ex Ribolla Gialla), the Fiano d'Avellino and Greco di Tufo (Campania) and many others.

We also have plenty of red, the best in my opinion are Barolo (Piemonte), Brunello and Sassiccaia (Toscana), Nero d'Avola (Sicily), Sagrantino di Montefalco (Umbria) and many others.

You may go to an Enoteca (wine shop) or even in some supermarkets where they have huge wine corners (in this case prices are lower).

Apart huge bottles wine in Italy is not expensive.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best wines in Italy

For general drinking, we tend to prefer drier wines - but here are a couple of sweet ones that we enjoy with desserts, or cheese even!

A white...

http://www.wine-searcher.com/regions-passito+di+pantelleria

And a red...

http://www.wine-searcher.com/regions-recioto+della+valpolicella

Although produced in very different parts of the country, both are sufficiently 'characteristic' for examples to be found almost anywhere!

[Ed... bit of a repeat, sorry!]

Peter

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde

Edited: 07 June 2013, 16:50
Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best wines in Italy

When you'll be in Rome, visit the Enoteca Ferrara in Trastevere to have a meal or purchase some bottles.

I had there a n original spicy red from Trentino called foja tonda by Albino Armani (not the fashion designer) and lately here in Australia i've been lucky to have found the igt 2008 Vecciano, a very fruity red from Tuscany.

When i fly overseas i tend to buy dessert wines as they are usually smaller bottles. Sagrantino di Montefalco passito, Moscato di Cagliari and Malvasia di Bosa are some of the favourites. Surely you'll not go over your stated budget.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,473 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best wines in Italy

I presume you are not very familiar with Italian wines. Well there is a cornucopia of opportunities with wines of all types. Italy produces wines of every type at almost every price level. I suggest that you visit a few vinyards and sample the wines that they produce. It would be fun to carry home wines that for which you have some knowledge of the makers and their vinyards.

Beyond that, the USA has many stores that sell a great variety of Italian wines at reasonable prices - try some before you go, to get better familiar and form some opinions of what you like.

And lastly, I suggest to not try to carry home as much as you mentioned, it's just too much work and expense for what you can also buy here. And I speak as one who has a very strong bias in favor of Italian wines - probably 90% of the wine I drink is Italian.

5. Re: Best wines in Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2014, 06:16