We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 day itinerary

Karachi, Pakistan
3 posts
Save Topic
8 day itinerary

Hi,

I am planning my honeymoon to italy in January. I have made some travel and cost estimations that i want experts to review. I am visiting for the first time but from what i have heard/read, january is off-season for most italian cities so i should be able to get good rates. Following are my trip details:

Day 1,2,3 - Rome - taxi 130 eur + hotel 300 eur + food 200 eur + misc 100 eur + outward train 195 eur

Day 3,4- Venice - taxi 130 eur + hotel 200 eur + food 150 eur + misc 170 eur + outward train 130 eur

Day 4,5,6- Cinque Terre - taxi 130 eur + hotel 260 eur + food 150 eur + misc 400 eur + outward train 325 eur (including day trip to Marnello and a day trip to Pisa)

Day 7 - Rome - Home

Please guide me with the similar budget hotel selections and also generally how can i make my trip economical.

- Doyle

PS. Marnello is most important stop, i need a Ferrari test drive!!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,949 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 day itinerary

Check current train schedules and train fares Rome - Monterosso (Cinque Terre) - Venice - Rome www.trenitalia.com/trenitalia21.html and also from Venice - Rome www.italotreno.it

Taking day trips means braking your train journey, and paying for two train sectors

Rome airport bus www.sitbusshuttle.com

Accommodation www.venere.com www.bed-and-breakfast-in-italy.com

www.rome.info www.timeout.com/rome

www.cinqueterre.com

www.venice-tourism.com www.timeout.com/venice

Edited: 08 June 2013, 03:27
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,221 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 day itinerary

I am seeing lots of costs for taxis, but you won't get taxis in Venice or Cinque Terre, you arrive by train to both and then walk or take a vaporetto (water bus) in Venice. You can take a water taxi but they are VERY expensive (limousine on water) and most people do not. Rome taxi to and from the airport will be 2x€48 fixed price.

Your train fares are way over cost. By booking ahead you can usually get fares Rome to Venice from €29/head.

Accommodation, Rome @ €300 for three nights is very cheap, but for one night is quite luxurious. I suspect you are planning @100/night and I think you may need to increase that.

Venice the same applies. But try www.aitagliapietra.com for a pretty, central, immaculate B&B with a wonderful young host within your price range.

I can't comment on prices off season in the Cinque Terre. Which town? They will be fairly well closed for winter and they are not a convenient place from which to take side trips to Maranello (note the spelling) and Pisa

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,822 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 day itinerary

I agree with Lynn, most of your costs are over inflated. The trains and taxi costs are crazy. You won't need a taxi at all in Venice and tickets for the water bus are very cheap. I found that while in Venice I only used the water bus to get to and from the train station to the stop closest to my hotel. The rest of the time we walked, which is part of the fun of being in Venice. The train between Rome and Venice is cheap and if you buy the seats as soon as they become available you can get really low prices. There is always a schedule change in December so you won't be able to buy much before then.

For Rome, you hotel cost will get you something nice near the termini or Vatican but not in the city center, even in the off season. Unless you plan on large sit down meals at fancy restaurants for every meal I would find it hard to spend 200 euros in 3 days. That's a ton of food.

The CT in the winter is not great. They will be practically deserted. Not sure if that's what you're looking for but they are much better from spring to fall, not winter. You might be better of staying in Bologna or Modena if you wish to visit Maranello. From there you can easily get to Rome.

One last thing, if you fly out on day 7 you will want to be in Rome on the night of the 6th. You don't want to risk missing your plane due to train or other delays. If you are coming from a city that requires a train ride of more than half an hour it's always best to be in the departure city the night before the flight.

Donna

Karachi, Pakistan
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 day itinerary

Thank you guys! I really appreciate the help.

I am dropping Cinque Terre for Bologna and also now that I know I wont need to spend that much on taxi and food, I can get better places to stay.

Planning ahead does help!

Cheers!

- Doyle

adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 day itinerary

instead of flying into and out of Rome

can you fly into and out of different cities to save backtracking

6. Re: 8 day itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2014, 05:18