We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

InterCity Notte Trains

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
InterCity Notte Trains

Hi. I'm traveling with my family (3 people total) from Rome to Venice and was thinking about traveling on the ICN 774 train. First of all, which class should we travel? Can we have 3 couchettes to ourselves w/out any strangers? I read somewhere that the couchettes are gender divided, is this true? Also can I use a American Visa card to book on trenitalia.com?

Any help is appreciated.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,144 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: InterCity Notte Trains

There are no classes on this train.

Compartments are sold as entire/complete (intero) mixed (promiscuo) and women only (donna).

However you can't book a complete compartment - the website will tell you that <Complete compartment service can be acquired or modified only if the travelers number is equivalent to the compartment seats number>, and the compartments hold four people. People have been known to pay for an extra and non-existent person to get around this, but I do not know if this is foolproof - there as a theoretical possibility that someone boarding at one of the eleven intermediate stops could be allocated to the vacant place.

You can pay by US Visa unless (as often happens) your bank blocks overseas payments without prior notification to prevent suspected fraud.

Note that the night train takes almost twice as long as the day trains, and arrives at 05.20.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: InterCity Notte Trains

You are strongly advised to take one of the super-fast direct daylight Trenitalia Frecciargento trains rather than the slow ICN train, which makes so many stops that it will be difficult to get any sleep. If you can get the SUPER ECONOMY fare, you can make this trip for a very reasonable price.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: InterCity Notte Trains

Thank You!

4. Re: InterCity Notte Trains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2015, 20:08
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: InterCity Notte Trains

Since the train gets into Venice early in the morning-are there any by hour hotels or places we can shower?

Vancouver
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: InterCity Notte Trains

Hi there, need some help from the experts: I'm booking two trips on ICN trains in October 2013: InterCityNotte 771 (Venezia - Roma) and ICN 1912 (Napoli - Milano). On both trains I'm looking to book 2nd class super economy fare. When booking via trenitalia.com you can choose the seats from the seating map (there are compartments of 6 seats on the seating map). Are those recliner seats or assigned seats which convert into couchettes at night? If these are convertible assigned seats (Aisle, Middle, Window), how do they correspond to the couchettes/berths (i.e. window seat = lower berth, middle seat=middle berth etc)?

If those are recliner seats, is it possible to upgrade to couchette while on the train or before the trip, with super economy fare?

Any info will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

7. Re: InterCity Notte Trains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2015, 20:21
Vancouver
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: InterCity Notte Trains

Thanks a lot Frecciadellalaguna90! If I get those seats at the super economy rate (non exchangeable/non refundable?) and find them uncomfortable to ride at night, would I be able to upgrade them to couchette while on the train? Is it acceptable to talk to the conductor and ask for an upgrade? I don't mind paying extra to the conductor if necessary.

Thanks again!

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,144 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: InterCity Notte Trains

it might be possible to upgrade, but I do not know for sure, and in no way should you rely on it.

The seated compartment seats do not correspond with the couchette seats - they are in ordinary cars and do not convert. If there are six people in a second class compartment with luggage, they are far from ideal for sleeping, and people may be boarding and alighting at intermediate stations all night.

While Milano-Napoli is a reasonably sensible option by night train (but only if in a couchette), Rome-Venice is not, for most people, when you can travel comfortably by day in 3.75 hours instead of uncomfortably by night in twice the time, calling at eleven other train stations on the way and arriving at 5 am.

Edited: 03 September 2013, 09:07
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,144 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: InterCity Notte Trains

Actually, as you are buying cheap tickets, you will certainly not be able to 'upgrade'.

Super Economy tickets cannot be exchanged at all.

Economy tickets can only be exchanged once, and only the date and/or the time can be changed. You cannot change the class of service, which is what an upgrade would entail.