We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice to Naples.....train or plane?

Austin, Texas
3 posts
Save Topic
Venice to Naples.....train or plane?

I am staying at the Hilton Molino Stucky in Venice in late August, and want to get from Venice to Naples (actually final destination is Sorrento, but I will worry about Naples to Sorrento as an aside). I would appreciate opinions on flying vs train.....flight is cheap and short, but I am wondering if I will lose some of the time I save just getting to the airport vs train station. This hotel is on another island, and apparently requires a water taxi or shuttle to get to the main Venice area. Once I make that trip and get to Venice, how hard is it to get to the airport vs the train station? Advice is appreciated.

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
23,086 reviews
from US$76.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
531 reviews
from US$413.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour...
2,854 reviews
from US$123.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,738 reviews
from US$112.70*
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,292 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice to Naples.....train or plane?

The fast train takes a bit over 5 hours to get from Naples to Venice, and from right outside Venice Santa Lucia station you can catch a vaporetto to any part of Venice.

A flight from Naples to Venice take only a hour or so, But it will take longer to get from Sorrento to the airport, you have to be at the airport 2 hours ahead of takeoff, allow 30 minutes to get off the plane and get baggage, and another 30 (or more) to get from Marco Polo airport to Venice.

So flying will save you less than an hour, and you have all the stress of airports and a transfer into Venice, compared to relaxing on a train and arriving right in the city.

If going by train, take the suburban train from Sorrento to Naples. If flying, there is a bus service from Sorrento to Naples airport.

Edited: 29 June 2013, 05:42
2. Re: Venice to Naples.....train or plane?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2015, 20:09
Italy
Level Contributor
39,510 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice to Naples.....train or plane?

I would take the train as it's less stressful and you won't really save time flying.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,292 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice to Naples.....train or plane?

My earlier reply erroneously referred to travel from Sorrento to Venice, but the same considerations apply to travel in either direction.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Venice to Naples.....train or plane?

Not a journey that we've done in its entirety, only in stages - some of them repeatedly....

Personally though, if here on vacation and in no desperate rush, I'd opt for the train - and an opportunity to see more of the country, even if it does rather rush past!

Trenitalia have a few services which run right through to Naples - otherwise, with the rest of theirs and all those operated by the Italo Treno company, you'd have to change... probably at one of the stations in Rome.

It might be worth comparing quite what the two have on offer for your travel day....

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

www.italotreno.it/EN/Pages/default.aspx

Once down here in Campania, a very convenient bus service will take you from Capodichino airport, just outside Naples, to Sorrento for only €10....

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187782-i162-k48…

... with the local Circumvesuviana railway providing the public transport option if arriving on either company's trains at Napoli Centrale station:

fodors.com/community/europe/through-naples-t…

Peter

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde

6. Re: Venice to Naples.....train or plane?

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Cesena, Italy
Level Contributor
9,865 posts
1,253 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Venice to Naples.....train or plane?

of course plane is better but only if u find a good rate

let me know if u need any help bout it

Austin, Texas
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Venice to Naples.....train or plane?

Wow, thanks for all the great advice! This is a big help.

Cesena, Italy
Level Contributor
9,865 posts
1,253 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Venice to Naples.....train or plane?

any time jeff

10. Re: Venice to Naples.....train or plane?

Edited: 16 February 2015, 20:09