We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Italy and I need itenerary help

Texas
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Italy and I need itenerary help

My husband and I are flying in to Florence on July 30th and flying out of Milan on August 13th (2 week trip). Going to Italy was kind of a last minute decision so I know that accommodations are scarce in August. I am somewhat frazzled trying to figure it all out.

I bought a couple of guide books and figured out that Florence, Cinque Terre, Amalfi Coast, Lake Como and Venice would all be places I would enjoy.

I really need help with knowing what order to do them in and how long to spend at each place. We will most likely travel by train. We aren't opposed to doing a night trip from Amalfi to Venice.

We are in our 50's and enjoy nature, beautiful scenery and quaint towns rather than big cities, museums and shopping. We like staying in homes, b and b's, farmhouses rather than big hotel resort chains. We are somewhat budget minded travelers. Thank you for any suggestions you have.

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,805 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Italy and I need itenerary help

The Amalfi Coast is beautiful, but it does not fit the list of other places that are all in the north while Amalfi is down south of Naples.

We flew into Rome, spent a week in the south using Sorrento as a hub and then a couple of nights back in Rome and a week in the Tuscany (central) area in Lucca, and then drove to Milan for the flight home. We did not make it to Venice, so now we are heading back. :-)

Edited: 02 July 2013, 03:40
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Italy and I need itenerary help

Look into "THe Last Supper" in Milan. It is slowly disappearing.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Italy and I need itenerary help

Any chance you could change your entry to Milan? If not you could go in either direction, Florence to Cinque Terre, then Lake Como (train will stop in Milan) and then on to Venice and back to Milan or Florence to Venice to Lake Como (train will stop in Milan) on to the Cinque Terre and then back to Milan.....I have not idea which direction would be the best...check out the Trenitalia site for train times.

Enjoy!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,571 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Italy and I need itenerary help

Your choice of lodging will be severely limited at that time of year; August is the busiest month of the high season with both Italians and non-Italians heading straight for the seaside (it is terribly hot/humid and the sea is very very popular). The Amalfi Coast villages accommodations get booked about 9 months in advance these days.

Give your itinerary, I would save Amalfi for another trip - two weeks sounds like a lot but it's really not, when you add in your traveling time. (There is no train from Amalfi to Venice - no trains on the coast- it takes a bit over 4 hours just to get from Amalfi (the village) to Rome using public transportation - buses, ferries, then train from Naples or Salerno).

You will also have a challenge finding lodging in Cinque Terre which is even smaller (the villages) that the Amalfi Coast villages - but since you are going to CT, on this trip, you might consider dropping the idea of the AC - it's really far from the other places you want to visit.

You can use www.venere.com to see what is available for your rooms - you can sort there by budget.

Book your seaside and Lake Como rooms as soon as you can - Venice will also probably be a bit hard to find something but you have a better shot - the Biennale is on, it's high season, it's insanely popular, etc.

Texas
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Italy and I need itenerary help

Thank you for the advise. I am going to skip Amalfi and spend time in Tuscany, Florence, CT, and then travel up to Lake Como and then Venice and then fly out of Milan. Do you have any suggestions on which order to do these places in and how long to visit each one. Would it be best for us to rent a car or travel by train? I would really like to travel up the Italian Riviera but it sounds like you may have to have a car to do that. Thanks!

Cesena, Italy
Level Contributor
7,604 posts
1,181 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Italy and I need itenerary help

if u visit naples and amalfi coast and pompeii u can't skip caserta

the royal house is amazing

let me know if u need more info

Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Italy and I need itenerary help

I was guessing why there aren't any questions about the royal house in Caserta: it's wonderful.

Cesena, Italy
Level Contributor
7,604 posts
1,181 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to Italy and I need itenerary help

cos people usually follow the very beaten paths and sometimes they really miss the very local ones

thats a such pity

9. Re: First time to Italy and I need itenerary help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2014, 07:17