We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it usual to pay driver before arriving to confirm?

Louisville, KY
Level Contributor
62 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Is it usual to pay driver before arriving to confirm?

We are coming to Italy at the end of September. We are hiring a driver for a portion of our trip and they are requesting payment at this time. Is that typical? I received their name from a friend who used them a few years ago, and they have a website, but no information is available on trip advisor about them. Am I being too suspicious?

Louisville, KY
Level Contributor
62 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it usual to pay driver before arriving to confirm?

Please help...

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it usual to pay driver before arriving to confirm?

Don't use them ourselves, however my first thought would be to try a Google search for the driver's name... and another for their mobile phone number.... to see what comes up?

Peter

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,551 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it usual to pay driver before arriving to confirm?

It depends. Some may request pre-payment if there is going to be hours of driving. They want to be sure that if you don't make it and don't cancel beforehand (which, I'm sure you would do) - that they don't lose out on a half or full day of payment.

I don't pay in advance for a car to pick me up at the Rome airport and bring me to Rome - I choose not to pay in advance if it is not necessary.

Is this a full day tour? Do they have a website with reviews? Are there reviews here on TA? If not, you may want to search for another driver that does have reviews that, even if payment is required in advance, you can see that there are no reviews from people who got ripped off.

Louisville, KY
Level Contributor
62 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it usual to pay driver before arriving to confirm?

Thanks for your responses. Yes, this is a full day commitment. There is a website with a few testimonials, but can't find the company on trip advisor. They want us to use paypal for our payment to confirm.

5. Re: Is it usual to pay driver before arriving to confirm?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2014, 06:18