We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italy in March

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
37 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
Italy in March

Hi,

We will be in Italy next March and question what the weather is normally like then ?

We want to spend about 3 days in Rome where our flight arrives/departs and I really want to see the Amalfi Coast. After that I am unsure of where are some nice areas to explore. Would Sicily be nice in March ? The area of Southern Italy between Amalfi to Sicily, would there be some worthwhile places ?

Is it OK to rent a car in Sicily ?

Thank you,

Christo60

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,461 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Italy in March

I spent three weeks in Italy in March 2011 and March 2012 - and loved it. I was crazy lucky in not having rain except for one full day in Positano (one day out of 7) and a few drizzles in Rome. You cannot count on that, however, as this past March was rainy. You just don't know with weather.

In Positano, the weather was cool - mostly in the 60s during the day, a few in low 70s and at night - every night - in the mid 40s. It is not at all swimming in the sea weather and a lot of places are still closed for the season. The season usually really begins around Easter. While lots of hotels and restaurants there were still closed, most of the shops were open. I loved it but then I knew what to expect. If it doesn't rain, it is great weather for hiking.

Meant to also add that during these trips, I visited Bologna, Verona, Venice, Rome, Naples, parts of Tuscany

Edited: 09 July 2013, 15:12
United States
Level Contributor
9,651 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Italy in March

I was in Italy from early Feb to early April this year (2013) and it rained all but about 4 days and was cold. I was in Lucca for a month and then was in Rome, Venice, and traveled through Tuscany, Umbria, and Le Marche. This was the longest period of rain and cold weather that I've had in all my trips to Italy.

TAB

Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Italy in March

We had the coldest spring in 200 years or so in 2013! We hope it won't happen again.

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Italy in March

Most of my trips to Italy have been in mid to late March. Days have generally been beautiful, though often a light jacket is needed. I like cooler temperatures when I'm out exploring. I've never had a day ruined by too much rain, just a brief rainstorm now and then. Nights can get quite chilly (even in Sicily).

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Italy in March

This year in Le Marche, we even had snow several times in April. The rain was incessant. My husband, who has lived in this town all his life, except for university years in Milan, doesn't remember any year like this. They're just beginning to harvest the wheat around here; it's almost always harvested in June.

Normally March is quite pleasant, but even in a normal year, it can be rather rainy and chilly, even in Rome and in the south. It's very hard to predict.

Edited: 09 July 2013, 17:12
6. Re: Italy in March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2014, 05:17