We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do all Italian hotels accept cash?

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Do all Italian hotels accept cash?

Hi - this may seem like a very silly question but have any of you come across a hotel in Italy that does not accept cash? I've booked a number hotels and have entered by debit card details to secure my bookings. All payments are to be made at the hotels. I just don't want to get hit with hefty bank fees as I am on a strict budget!

I'm deciding on whether to exchange my £ into Euros or to just take cash out from the ATMs (not regularly - just 2 or 3 times perhaps!). It's dfficult to decide what is more cost-effective.

Many thanks!

Edited: 15 July 2013, 18:22
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do all Italian hotels accept cash?

I'd suggest checking what your particular bank and card issuer grab from each of those transactions!

We've with Barclays, and it's pricey almost any way you pay... although, oddly, the font gets smaller as you get down to the bit that tells of the actual percentages they deduct or add on...

barclays.co.uk/Helpsupport/…P1242576462703

Peter

United States
Level Contributor
9,565 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do all Italian hotels accept cash?

I've never had an Italian hotel, restaurant, store, etc. refuse cash. I usually pay in cash except for car rentals.

TAB

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do all Italian hotels accept cash?

Paying with a credit card, or with a debit card, would usually not engender bank fees, other than the spread of the exchange rate, which is usually very modest for credit card transactions. Withdrawing money with a debit card so that you can pay cash at the hotel would almost always entail more fees, and changing money at a bank or exchange office is usually the worst of all.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do all Italian hotels accept cash?

On all my debit and credit cards I pay the same foreign currency transaction fee whether I get money out of an ATM or pay with the credit card in a restaurant or hotel. The additional fee for the debit card in using the ATM is my bank's fee for using an ATM (no such fees are imposed by Italian ATM machines).

Some hotels advertise a percentage off the rate if paid in cash - not all of them but I have seen that advertised. I assume it is because they themselves have to pay a fee when getting paid with a credit card.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
11,880 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do all Italian hotels accept cash?

Cash is legal tender and must be accepted - although cash payments above 1,000 euro are no longer acceptable,and are possible if you are a legal resident, and are possible (but require additional paperwork) if you are a non-EU tourist.

Note that some businesses will not be happy to take 500 euro bills.

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Do all Italian hotels accept cash?

Thank you for your responses everyone! Much appreciated!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do all Italian hotels accept cash?

FF meant to say that cash payments over 1000 euros are *impossible* if you're an Italian legal resident.

Edited: 15 July 2013, 22:54
GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,555 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do all Italian hotels accept cash?

I suspect that many hotels will not accept cash payments of Euro 1000 or more.

Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do all Italian hotels accept cash?

Paying more than 999,99 euro cash is illegal for every business transaction in Italy, resident or not.

Mestre, Italy
Level Contributor
6,484 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do all Italian hotels accept cash?

The 1000€ cash limit can be bypassed paying 2 different bills.