We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking train from Milan to Venice to Rome

Key West, Florida
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Taking train from Milan to Venice to Rome

I am flying into Milan on the 23rd of July and I have a few questions.

Is there a train that leaves the MXP to Venice? Or do I need to leave the airport and go to a train station?

Should I book online or can I purchase 1st class tickets the same day? Or is it better to purchase a pass for 3-4 days?

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
27,715 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking train from Milan to Venice to Rome

It is best to buy at Malpensa Airport train station when you get there. If you buy in advance and a delayed flight causes you to miss your booked train, your ticket could be worthless.

You buy to Venezia S. Lucia, and will be given two tickets, one for the Malpensa Express train to Milano Centrale (no reserved seats on these, and validate=time/date-stamp the ticket before boarding), and one for a specific train from Milano Centrale with your car number and reserved seat number.

For significant advance reductions on Venezia S. Lucia to Roma Termini or Tiburtina, book in advance on www.trenitalia.com clicking the UK flag for English before entering stations, and entering your 'hour' of departure, e.g. '13' for 13.00.

Or use the competing service www.italotreno.it/EN/Pages/default.aspx which goes to Roma Tiburtina and Ostiense.

Edited: 15 July 2013, 21:01
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,143 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking train from Milan to Venice to Rome

There is no need to waste money on first class. Second is entirely comfortable.

3. Re: Taking train from Milan to Venice to Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2014, 06:18