We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best of italy

adelaide
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Topic
best of italy

my boyfriend and i (ages 22) will be backpacking through italy mid August. we would like to know what cities are best to travel to? what are the must sees? cheapest ways of getting from one city to another?

also how long would you suggest we take to travel through italy before moving on?

any info would be great!

thank you!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,266 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best of italy

How long depends entirely on you: the time you have to spare and the money you are willing to spend. This being a major trip, considering you are coming all the way from Australia, the first thing I would suggest would be getting a couple of good guide books and reading up on what would interest you. It is hard for anyone to read a stranger's mind to guess what would interest them as we all have our varied tastes and preferences. The country has so much to offer and you really need to pick what are your personal choices. Start with Rome and the area around it. Enjoy your research. Planing is the biggest part of the fun, IMO.

canada
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best of italy

Hi bodhi42, What are your interests? You should plan your trip around your interests, not other people's interests.

Why aim at cities only? Topography and scenery are worth seeing too. To understand Italy one must visit a hill town.

Cheaper transport would be buses and regional trains, and to hunt for discounted advance sale high speed train tickets.

How long? That depends on your interests. I would divide Italy into 7 regions each worth a week or two, plus Roma, this eternal city needs eternity to see everything.

If I were only allowed to see just one fine arts gallery in this world, I pick Borghese.

Before your trip I would advise you to read through Greek, Etruscan beside Roman civilizations. Evolution of the Church, and the Renaissance period.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best of italy

How long? I would stay a year if I could. It's a question only you can answer.

It will be hot. Apart from the obvious cities (Rome, Florence, Venice) I would recommend some of the great places along the coastline where you can cool off in the beautiful Mediterranean.

Cinque Terre would be perfect.

Amalfi Coast (of course)

Norther lakes - Como, Maggiore would be worth a visit.

I've not been to Sicily or Umbria but if I had the time I'd definitely add them to the list.

A villa in Tuscany (with a pool) is another option.

You need to do some more research and come back with some specific questions. There are plenty of people here who will try to give more specific advice when you do.

Cheers

Gary

4. Re: best of italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2014, 06:20