We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Giving to Beggars in Rome

Level Contributor
4 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Giving to Beggars in Rome

I decided to ignore all the things I have read and my own distrustful nature and gave money.

It felt so good I went to the supermarket, bought some tinned food and went back and gave that also, and an additional 10 euro.

At the end of the day you don't know what that persons story is and their situation. But at least I can sleep at night knowing I couldn't walk past an old lady on her knees begging for money.

If she is part of some elborate begging ring well good luck to her, it would be conscious to deal with and it would still be an awful living don't you think, doing that as a 'day job'?

I have never seen a beggar that old before, it broke my heart.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,426 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Giving to Beggars in Rome

It's a personal choice whether to give to someone or not and I myself have given to beggars. But for some it really is a job and they have a particular patch that they work.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,212 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Giving to Beggars in Rome

Begging and scamming is an art form that has been perfected by certain groups of people for hundreds of years. You often see them near churches hoping to cash in on everyone's charitable feelings when touring or leaving a church.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,515 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Giving to Beggars in Rome

I saw a hunched 'old lady' outside Santa Maria in Trastevere and my heart went out....until I saw 'her' later on leaning against a wall, perfect posture, semi-hidden from public view, having a smoke and chatting on an iphone. She was in fact a man.

Waltham...
Level Contributor
260 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Giving to Beggars in Rome

I've seen the same woman

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,328 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Giving to Beggars in Rome

I've seen her (him) too. That's why they are always covered from head to toe, including gloves.

Donna

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,588 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Giving to Beggars in Rome

Oh, and me too. Very dependable that one. I have seen that person for quite a few years now - a few times a year and nearly every time I pass by the church, which is often when I am there.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,515 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Giving to Beggars in Rome

Have you seen the crippled beggars suddenly develop Olympic style sprinting abilities when the Carabinieri turn up?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,089 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Giving to Beggars in Rome

The biggest crime is that there are so many people faking it that it's impossible to tell who is genuinely in need. That's why it makes the most sense to give money to a charity that has procedures for vetting people.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,407 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Giving to Beggars in Rome

I just remember one time in Florence years ago, my then 11yr old son, really, really wanted to give to one of the old gypsies. I could not convince him otherwise...he told me how "sad" she looked, how "poor" she looked, etc...So he dug into his pockets and pulled out what change he had: A 20, a 10 and a 1 centesimi. He proudly put it in her cup that she held out. She took one look at it, dumped the cup into her hand and threw the money back at my son's feet!! I don't think he will ever give to the "poor" beggars again. As they say, "beggars can't be choosers"

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Giving to Beggars in Rome

Just returned from Rome and I have never ever seen so many beggars in a city before, there were hundreds!! A shock to the system, We felt so guilty walking past but would have been destitute ourselves if We'd given every time. However We soon realised that the majority were scammers as previously described. I witnessed the "crooked old lady" stand up and walk normally at the end of her shift, she was actually a young woman, I saw the buckled legged girl on crutches stand up straight and walk off. There were obviously some severely disabled beggars, you couldn't fake the triple amputee begging outside the Vatican, he made a small fortune over the hour I watched from the queue, but his life must be crap so who cares if he made a thousand euros a day? It doesn't take long to work out the fakers, some were better dressed than us!!! Our main bugbear were the rose-sellers around the tourist spots, intrusive pests that would not take no for an answer and almost ruined Rome for us.