We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Giving to Beggars in Rome

Level Contributor
4 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Giving to Beggars in Rome

I decided to ignore all the things I have read and my own distrustful nature and gave money.

It felt so good I went to the supermarket, bought some tinned food and went back and gave that also, and an additional 10 euro.

At the end of the day you don't know what that persons story is and their situation. But at least I can sleep at night knowing I couldn't walk past an old lady on her knees begging for money.

If she is part of some elborate begging ring well good luck to her, it would be conscious to deal with and it would still be an awful living don't you think, doing that as a 'day job'?

I have never seen a beggar that old before, it broke my heart.

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
10,935 posts
481 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Giving to Beggars in Rome

Maybe people who are or look old or disabled draw particular attention.

But I can't help noticing a rather new trend, which hardly existed just a few years ago: young (20-30 years old) and totally healthy people, seemingly not European basing on their somatic features, who beg out of bars and supermarkets without any complex, coolly stretching their caps to anyone coming out.

Scranton...
Level Contributor
440 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Giving to Beggars in Rome

On a recent trip to Rome, we passed a beggar set up a few doors down from our hotel. She had a horribly withered and deformed leg stretched out in front of her. I had no cash on hand, or I would have been moved to put some money in her bowl.

As we walked into our hotel, I glanced back and she had simply vanished in the space of 30 seconds. That's when I realized that the "leg" was undoubtedly a fake.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,168 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Giving to Beggars in Rome

Most of the beggars I have seen in italy were so well dressed (often color coordinated), that I never give them any money. I don't give money to the beggars in NYC and they are not nearly as well-dressed as Italian beggars.

maybe it's because of my personal history. When I was a student in Ann Arbor Michigan, I gave some money to a beggar "for food", but later ran into him buying cheap wine at the same convenience store that I was in.

Last time I did give money to a beggar was in St Paul, MN to man at the Mcdonald's. It was below Zero deg F outside, and it looked like that person was homeless and had been spending a lot of time outside in some pathetic clothing.

Level Contributor
1,251 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Giving to Beggars in Rome

Desperation is stronger than hunger sometimes.Many desperate people prefer to spend money on alcool than on food. Food fills your belly, alcol make you forget you have an empty belly.

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Giving to Beggars in Rome

There's beggers then there's pain in the rears!!! My very recent first trip to rome went like this....here my lady a rose for a beautiful lady! Oh..um...thanks? Pretty eyes you have ..here he places another 2 roses in my hand. Excuse me excuse me.my husband who is walking a few feet infront of me turns to him who shakes my husbands hand expresses my beauty to amused on lookers (one of which I very shortly became myself) then asks for 3 euro!! My husband says no thanks to which the guy is now matching husbands pace only backwards, refuses to take the roses back yet still insists on payment of them! To which my husband turns to me and tells me to give them back to which I stand, hands in the air shrugging then smiling I point to a police officer to which I had given the roses too..tapped the guy on the sholder in a pity way and carried on walking. A few people who had been targets themselves, laughing at me for what I had done, at him for the position I had been put in. Needless to say I never accepted a rose again even to the point I had one shoved in my hand 2 days later, did even see the guy approach me, caught my finger with a thorn so I hit him over the arm with it and dropped it to the floor. The sheer ignorance of some people. It's the locals I feel sorry for being subject to that every day

Sydney NSW
Level Contributor
991 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Giving to Beggars in Rome

Is it really deceit they are using to make some money? I liken them to the people that dress in silver/ gold as statues to which people drop money in hats too. Its not like we really think its a statue.

27. Re: Giving to Beggars in Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 March 2015, 22:35
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,179 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Giving to Beggars in Rome

Then there was the woman with children begging in a pilgrimage town and I was cross that she was using the children. Later in the evening, returning from a good dinner, I saw her and the children in a tiny side alley, bedding down on and under cardboard. No one else was around, it wasn't a ploy.

Sometimes we are quick to condemn.

29. Re: Giving to Beggars in Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2016, 04:15