We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How's this 12-day plan look?

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
373 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
How's this 12-day plan look?

Looking for feedback to see if this looks ok as a general idea so I can book the plane tickets and start planning the details. Planning to go in mid October 2013.

Couple quick things about us - we aren't that in to art/museums and not big eaters. We don't have much desire to be in large crowds unless it is something we must see, like Rome's main sites so that is why I only have 1-1.5 days in Rome (and we aren't spending time in Florence, but rather picking up a motorcycle to head into countryside). We love beautiful scenery and prefer to see it on motorcycle or horse when possible - in this case those will have to be day trips). We do appreciate seeing historic sites/buildings/streets/statues/etc. My husband gets pretty cranky if we are on a forced march - so I can't jam pack a whole lot into every single day.

-Day 1 arrive Rome 8:30am

-Day 2 = See main sites in Rome, possible train to Florence in evening.

-Day 3 Tuscany - Motorcycle rental out of Florence Harley Davidson for touring around Tuscany (TBD as to where) for the day

-Day 4 Rent car and head into Tuscany - TBD, we'd like to do horseback riding so maybe drive to where we can do that, drive through country side towards next destination (heading to Cinque Terre). Was suggested to drive to Pisa and then take train to Cinque Terre, but we may want to drive up more north if it is possible to drop car closer to Cinque Terre.

- Day 5 Cinque Terre

- Day 6 Cinque Terre

- Day 7 Train to Lake Como

- Day 8 Lake Como area

- Day 9 Lake Como area

- Day 10 Lake Como to Venice via train

- Day 11 Venice

- Day 12 Fly out of Venice in am

Advice / suggestions / feedback on the skeleton of the schedule before we dig into details? Thanks!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,209 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How's this 12-day plan look?

Sounds like a fun journey.

Train Rome airport to Termini "Leonardo Express" or bus www.sitbushuttle.com

Trains Rome - Florence, Monterosso - Varenna and Varenna - Venice www.trenitalia.com Click on the UK flag for train times and fares

Motorbike rental www.motorbikerentalitaly.com

Cars www.auto-europe.com www.autoeurope.it Pick up Florence and drop off La Spezia

Route planner www.viamichelin.com

Non EU citizens require an International driving permit for Italy

Traffic and ZTL info roninrome.com/transportation/driving-italy and Top Questions "Driving in Italy"

Bus Venice to Marco Polo airport www.atvo.it

Accommodation www.venere.com www.bed-and-breakfast-in-italy.com

www.rome-info www.timeout.com/rome

www.discovertuscany.com www.aboutpisa.info www.lucca.ca

www.mycinqueterre.com

www.discovercomo.com

www.venice-tourism.com www.timeout.com/venice

Edited: 31 July 2013, 05:10
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
373 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How's this 12-day plan look?

Wow, thanks so much! Lot's to look at this weekend - great info and links, greatly appreciated!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
933 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How's this 12-day plan look?

Horseback riding in Tuscany question has come up before but I have never really seen a response.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How's this 12-day plan look?

Hi, we cannot agree with your itinerary planned as the mentioned areas or locations are still major tourist sites although in low season.

We would go East and then North alongside the Apennines within the region borders of Abruzzo, Marche and southern Emilia Romagna before ending in Venice.

If you'll browse into the site www.turismoequestre.com can find several link to make it possible lodging in few of the listed agriturismo.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
933 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How's this 12-day plan look?

Low season will still have crowds. You need to get away from major tourist sites to avoid crowds otherwise most of your trip will be with crowds. If you are ok with crowds then you will enjoy your trip.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
373 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How's this 12-day plan look?

Thanks, that is certainly a different suggestion that we have received before - much to look into again!

Tell me more about transportation. We were planning on train to Florence, renting MC for a day, then picking up car in Florence and heading towards Cinque Terra to enjoy the drive through Tuscany, and then trains the rest of the way. Similar with the above suggestions?

Also, I'm guessing this is also a great, scenic route to take to get the "feel" of the Italian countryside? Like what we typically assume when thinking of Tuscany? What specific towns would be suggested / routes for best scenery?

I'll try to do research on the suggestions soon as well, but feedback/suggestions are appreciated as well!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
933 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How's this 12-day plan look?

Generally the Val d'Orcia area is considered the most scenic area of Tuscany which is in the southern part of Tuscany. You won't drive through this area en route to Cinque Terre.

You might want to consider a drive through the Chianti area near Florence and then head directly to 5T.

Edited: 03 August 2013, 03:49
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
373 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How's this 12-day plan look?

What if we either

1) took a train from Rome to Oriveto, rented car and went through Val d' Orcia on route to Florence to pick up motorcycle for a tour around other parts of Tuscany and pick up the itinerary from there.

or 2) - it doesn't seem too far away (about 1.5 hrs?) that we couldn't follow the itinerary to Florence, rent motorcycle and drive down to Val d' Orcia and around for the day. Is there a lot of traffic?

We could always do a 2-day rental of the motorcycle and spend the night in Val d'Orcia if we need more time. Or, maybe there is a Harley rental closer to Val d'Orcia? I'll look when I get a chance.

Still also interested in hearing of the east coast as well!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
933 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How's this 12-day plan look?

I would recommend a night in the Val d' Orcia area. There is not much traffic on the country roads, highways have traffic. The two day motorcycle rental out of Florence would work if there is nothing on Orvieto.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
373 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How's this 12-day plan look?

Good news! There is a Harley Dealer in Perugia that rents, so we could train from Rome to Perugia and pick up the bike and tour through the Val d' Orcia area for one or two nights, then return to Perugia and rent a car to either continue on the journey as listed above on the west coast, or if I get more info on the east coast, change to that. Wish I had more than a few minutes a night to research, so your feedback is very helpful!