We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Schengen visa from Italian consulate NYC

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
Schengen visa from Italian consulate NYC

My husband and I are planning for trip to Italy starting Sept 26th. I got appointment for Sept 16th leaving only 8 working days before we leave. Their website says 2 to 15 business days for processing. Does anyone have experience getting visa from NYC consulate and know how long it actually takes? One of my friends suggested getting visa from Belgium consulate since its walk-in and then tell them when entering Italy that our plans changed. Is it at all recommended?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,014 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Schengen visa from Italian consulate NYC

when we got Italian visas from the Indiana consulate a number of years ago, it took us over two months and we got our passports back the day before we were to fly. I hope NY works faster.

Spello, Italy
Level Contributor
117 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Schengen visa from Italian consulate NYC

I don't know about the NYC part, but I can say with some certainty that the last part will not work. The visa is required for the permesso (or whatever equivalent that is in Belgium), and it is the permesso that allows you to stay. If you have a Belgian visa, it is good to complete paperwork in Belgium only. Italians won't even look at it. Besides the fact that for most (all?) countries, you need a signed/registered lease to get a visa, which means you'd have to have one for Belgium. How long are you planning to stay? I'm asking because you describe it as a "trip" and I want to make sure you know that if you are staying under 3 months, you don't need a visa at all.

As for dealing with the consulate, you can google search the NYC consulate and Italian visas to see if anyone has any insights. When we were applying for our year abroad, we found it helpful to read which consulates were reportedly easy or difficult to work with and why.

Based on my work with 2 consulates, I'd say if you are approved (which I found actually quite challenging), they can find ways to get you the paperwork by the time you need it.

Best of luck,

Michelle

www.ilbelcentro.com

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Schengen visa from Italian consulate NYC

What type of visa are you applying for?

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,389 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Schengen visa from Italian consulate NYC

If you are a U.S. citizen with a valid passport, (valid for 3 months after your planned departure) visiting Italy for 90 days or less, you do not need a visa.

see this link...

…state.gov/travel/…entry_requirements

Click on "Entry/Exit requirements for U.S. citizens."

If in doubt, contact the Embassy.

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Schengen visa from Italian consulate NYC

I have a green card so I need a visa. We are planning for 7 nights.

6. Re: Schengen visa from Italian consulate NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 17 August 2013, 10:13
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Schengen visa from Italian consulate NYC

The OP is not asking legal advice, they are asking if anybody has experience with length of time for obtaining a visa.

AdamL - Yes, I thought perhaps you were referring to a visa other than a long-stay visa. Make sure the consulate is fully aware of your departure date and time...there are generally expedite fees associated with obtaining a visa in such a short time frame. However, if I were you, I would work to get an earlier appointment and/or mark your departure date on your application as a few days earlier. And I am not sure what Ilbelcentro is referring to when she discusses picking and choosing your consulate office, as you can only apply to the consular general that has jurisdiction of the area of your residence (i.e. certain counties of California apply to the Los Angeles Consular General, while others apply in San Francisco)

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
30,828 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Schengen visa from Italian consulate NYC

"I have a green card" doesn't tell us what your nationality is, other than that it isn't American! Which is possibly the most relevant factor here.

However, I would not recommend applying for your visa to a different Schengen country than the one you are actually going to. For a start, there is something called the Schengen Information System (SIS) in which visa applications etc. are recorded, so the Belgian Embassy/consulate may be able to see that you already applied elsewhere and wonder what is going on. Secondly, it is common to ask for proof of travel arrangements. Are you prepared to actually fly to Belgium before continuing to Italy?

In any case, your date of departure must be on the visa application, so presumably "processing time" includes interview. If they can process a visa application in as little as 2 working days, 8 working days after the interview should be fine for issuing your visa. But you always have to take into account possible delays when determining when to apply.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Schengen visa from Italian consulate NYC

Adam, see my post with a similar question. (tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187768-i20-k67740…)

I sent an email to Abtran requesting an earlier date and I got a reply saying that for "...most nationalities, the approved visa can be processed as quickly 5 days." You may be cutting it close with 8 days before your trip, but you just may be able to get it in time.

10. Re: Schengen visa from Italian consulate NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2014, 05:18