We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary suggestions

Denver, Colorado
3 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary suggestions

Hi all,

This will be our first trip to Italy. We have 14 nights to play around with. We don't like to rush around spending only 1 or 2 nights in a city. We love history, cafes, museums, walking, small villages. What suggestions might you have for us in terms of an itinerary?

Thank you!!

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,022 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary suggestions

This is impossible to answer--there are just too many options. I suggest you read through other Italy itineraries here to help you narrow down your options. If you want "the biggies" (i.e., Venice, Florence, Rome), then that is easy enough to figure out.

Time of year is also important.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,446 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary suggestions

Above is correct - more or less. But I will offer something.

In 14 nights, plan on visiting three places for 4-5 nights each. You really must buy two guide books. They all have the same basic facts, but distinct presentations and emphasis.

Do not get into the trap of trying to do too much. We think that the hardest part of each trip to Italy, especially the first, is deciding what to skip.

I woud suggest 2 major towns (perhaps Rome/Venice/Florence/Siena) and one small town such as Castellina in Chianti, Lucca, Verona,, Mantua, but my knowledge and experience are limited to northern Italy. If you want sun, then there are many interesting places further south.

I suggest that you study your guide books and then come back to us with more specific questions about when, what appeals to you, and budget. That way you will get much more help.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,763 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary suggestions

Italy is a very big country - I agree with the other posters. Do say whether you want cities, art, architecture, ancient history, seaside, countryside, the lake district, the mountains, the islands - if you can offer some personal tastes and interests, you will get some meaningful responses.

If you are not into rushing around - I too agree that staying in 3 places would probably be ideal. If you choose any of the popular cities - i.e., Rome, Naples, Venice, Florence - that is still challenging to try to tackle in just a few days as these cities are thousands of years old and so have so very much to offer.

Guidebook(s) are essential - that is your best first resource for starting to plan as well as having on hand when you are there.

Austin
Level Contributor
483 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary suggestions

Depends on where you fly into as to where you might want to finish your trip. People always recommend that you finish where you will fly out of at the end of the trip. If this is Rome....then you would want to stay Rome for the last part of the trip. My wife and I did our first trip a few years back and saw Rome, Tuscany, Venice and Amalfi. Time of year might dictate if you would want to be near the ocean....otherwise I think our favorite places were Rome and Tuscany. Tuscany has so much variety...so many wonderful hill top towns...places like Florence and Lucca...and a more relaxed feel. Rome is just so awesome...so much to do. We are actually planning another 6 nights their during our next trip!

Simple fast answer: I would do 5 or 6 nights in Rome and 8 or 9 nights Tuscany. During your stay in Tuscany you can see many wonderful places both large and small. You could even sneak over into Umbria a bit to see Assisi. I'm sure other's will have ideas. I would say Tuscany is more relaxing than Rome...so I would want to finish there...but you may need to fly out of Rome...in which case it might make more sense to go to Tuscany first. You might even be able to fly into one city and out another to make this happen more smoothly.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,499 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary suggestions

Some of it also depends on your travel style. Some like to stay in one place, take day trips, avoid repacking, while we like to move around. whether it means staying somewhere for 4 nights or 2 nights. I would pick either the North (Milan, Lakes, Verona, Venice) or Central (Tuscany, Rome) for those 14 days. Then spend some time on the forums here and the itinerary will magically develop after a few weeks. Dont rush it. Here's are some example (first one closely resembles our last)...

Fly into Florence 4 nights

Pick up car

Lucca 2

Montepulciano area 4

Rome 4

Fly out of Rome

Here's another example...

Fly into Milan

Lake Como 4

Milan 1

Lake Garda 3

Verona 2

Venice 4

Fly out of Venice

Adjust as you may see fit

Denver, Colorado
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary suggestions

Thanks for all your responses and help!!

7. Re: Itinerary suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2014, 05:16