We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family travellers advise - Naples vs Florence

Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
53 posts
184 reviews
Save Topic
Family travellers advise - Naples vs Florence

A kind of dilema to chose between those 2 destinations for 2 nights visit - what are pros and cons for both cities ? We will travel with 9 y.o. daughter, and having in mind public opinion, read on TA on Naples safety issues, I am in doubt on how attractive it could be for family trip - having in mind we will travel last week of October, so days is short, and maybe not much to see in the evenings. On other side, my idea of must see during Naples visit ( Pompeii, Vesuvio ) is a bit of kind "attraction" for young lady, while Florence, with all its cultural heritage and "too much of culture" I am afraid, might be a bit boring for her.

Have anybody of family travellers been chosing between those cities and reasonable advise therefore could be granted ? Thanks indeed.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,141 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family travellers advise - Naples vs Florence

Florence is great to visit not just because of the art and culture; it's a beautiful city!!! Naples is not so beautiful, in fact, in many places I find it truly ugly and dirty. I know the Naples lovers will jump all over me, but it's true. They may love the city, but beautiful it is not.

I would much rather walk around Florence in the dark than Naples.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,621 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family travellers advise - Naples vs Florence

Florence and Naples are two distinctly different historic cities, choice would be what either cities have of interest to you.

www.visitflorence.com

www.timeout.com/naples

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,165 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family travellers advise - Naples vs Florence

Florence is much cleaner and more beautiful and there is less weirdness around than in Naples. I would consider Florence to be a much mor family friendly place to visit.

You do not have to stay in Naples to see Pompeii and Vesuvius. I have stayed in Pompei (the modern city) and in Sorrento in order to visit the Pompeii ruins. Pompeii ruins is 40 min from Naples on the Circumvesuviana train and 30 min from Sorrento (other end of the line).

Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
53 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family travellers advise - Naples vs Florence

Looks to be that Florence have most of chances to became our destination :). Some hotel pre-bookings are done, now is time once again to spend half a day on weekend for city research on TA and www. I suppose that 1st day we arrive close to mid-day to Florence by train from Rome, and give that day for simple walk around the historic places of Florence ( if not mistaken, some forums recomended climbing up on cathedral as pretty interesting attraction fo childs as well - need to to check ). 2nd day - day trip to Pisa. 3rd day - visiting some of great museums and evening departure to Rome.

Thanks. Probably we might "meet" on more specific Florence forum soon :). Naples looks to be next visit destination - in better season as well...

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,621 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family travellers advise - Naples vs Florence

Trains in the morning Florence to Pisa, later take the train Pisa to Lucca returning by train from Lucca to Florence

Trains www.trenitalia.com Click on the UK flag for train times, validate your train ticket before travel in the Yellow validation boxes

www.visitflorence.com

www.aboutpisa.info

www.lucca.ca

6. Re: Family travellers advise - Naples vs Florence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 September 2013, 02:54
Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family travellers advise - Naples vs Florence

Both destinations are equally diverse and beautiful.

OP you need to check your geography - Naples is a lower latitude than Florence. October is autumn, still plenty of hours of daylight.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,496 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family travellers advise - Naples vs Florence

for two nights and one day I wouldn't worry about Florence being boring. and if I had this little time and wanted to take my daughter to Pompeii, I would stay in Sorrento.

Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
53 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family travellers advise - Naples vs Florence

Nurioopta, could you be more specific on what you mean by "Trains in the morning Florence to Pisa, later take the train Pisa to Lucca returning by train from Lucca to Florence" - there is no return train from Pisa to Florence or what ...? Or it's only a jentle suggestion to visit Lucca as well on the way back :) ?

by the way, experts - wchich particular Pisa train station ( stop ) is more convinient as arrival point from Florence ( I mean in order easy way to tower ) ? Thanks indeed.

10. Re: Family travellers advise - Naples vs Florence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2014, 10:22