We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rail fares in Italy

Bristol, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Rail fares in Italy

I looked up trains Rome to Pisa. Fares: Full 2nd class was 70E. "Open Ticket" 20E. If I book an open one, what how and when do I pay later? (I want to book onto the 1659 but might be delayed)

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
34,300 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rail fares in Italy

Which site are you using? The trenitalia site has full fares starting at 46 euros and the slower trains for as low as 19.90 euros.

Donna

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,156 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rail fares in Italy

In fact the most expensive on-the-day second class fare by direct trains is €46 - that's for the Frecciabianca trains. Direct Intercity trains, also with reserved seats, cost €34.50 on the day. You can get advance tickets on these trains from €9. But if you miss your train with these, your ticket is worthless. Even the full price Base tickets can only be changed for one hour after your booked departure time and at the departure station.

There are also slower direct Regional trains (without reserved seats), costing €23.05 on the day and with no advance reductions, for which tickets bought in Italy are 'open' for two months, and bought online from Trenitalia are OK for trains up to four hours from the booked departure time.

There are nearly 20 direct trains a day from Rome to Pisa, so be careful not to buy one of the many options which are offered with a change of train in Florence. These can in theory be a few minutes faster, but the change of train is a considerable inconvenience and Florence-Pisa trains have no reserved seats.

Bristol, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rail fares in Italy

Thank you. To save me asking more questions could you kindly advise me: My plane from Malaga is due in at 1450. What train (Company, time) would you advise me to book - or is booking unnecessary? I was thinking of the 1659 but do not know what train company that is. (I do not use taxis)

Many thanks if you can answer this.

4. Re: Rail fares in Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2015, 20:22
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,156 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rail fares in Italy

On that website, click the UK flag for English and enter Roma Termini (or Fiumicino Aeroporto if you're landing there) to Pisa Centrale.

Advance booking is problematic because of the risk of a delayed flight.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,062 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rail fares in Italy

I suggest you do not book in advance, as your flight might be delayed. Discounted tickets are worthless if you miss the train, and even full-price Base tickets are worthless one hour after the booked departure time.

Assuming you are landing at FCO, go to the train station at the airport and buy tickets from there to Pisa. If you are using CIA, take the bus to Termini and buy the ticket there.

7. Re: Rail fares in Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2014, 05:19