We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Itinerary Help for Italy in November

New England
Level Contributor
103 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Need Itinerary Help for Italy in November

DH and I have flights booked into Rome on 11/9 for 4 nights. We are spending 11/15-11/17 with our DD in Florence. We have 2 nights in the middle. I would love to see the coastline but can't figure out if we should go to Cinque Terre or somewhere along the Amalfi coast. We are not planning to rent a car and are relying on mass transit however, I am trying to avoid local trains and ferries to these areas as I believe their schedules decrease significantly after September. My daughter has recommended Positano but she is not very familiar with winter transit schedules, etc. What would you recommend?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,068 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Itinerary Help for Italy in November

It's a long way from Florence to Positano - and ferries will not be running at all at that time to the AC villages from Salerno or Sorrento. Train from Florence takes between 2.5-3 hours, depending on which train you choose and then from there you would need to take a local train to Sorrento from which you would then take a bus - added about 1.5-2 hours to the time - so, a total of about 5 plus hours. You could opt for a private car transfer but that would cost about 100 plus euros Naples to Positano. Most hotels on the AC close the beginning of November though a few remain open. Restaurants mostly close then as well.

Cinque Terre is about 3 hours via train from Florence - check the CT forum but I don't think ferries will be running there either between the villages as it is off season.

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,201 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Itinerary Help for Italy in November

I would let the weather dictate if you take a day trip to CT from Florence and pick something else, so you don't have a room booked in somewhere with miserable weather. Save the AC for when you have time to enjoy it in the right season. I'd stop somewhere like Arezzo or Orvieto in between Rome and Florence.

Pottersville, New...
Level Contributor
123 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Itinerary Help for Italy in November

I would go to Venice.

New England
Level Contributor
103 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Itinerary Help for Italy in November

We'd be going from Rome to Positano, not from Florence, but thank you for your advice. Though I would love to save the AC for another trip I'm not sure I will ever get back to Italy!

Is it worthwhile for us to go from Rome to Naples or Salerno to see the coastline at that time of year. I understand I can catch a fast train from Rome to either city.

Edited: 19 September 2013, 16:16
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,068 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Itinerary Help for Italy in November

If you go to Salerno, it will take 70 minutes on the bus to reach Amalfi (the village) and another 40 minutes or so reach Positano.

By going to Salerno, you eliminate one bit of public transportation - the local train from Naples to Sorrento - though it will take longer overall to reach Positano.

Check www.venere.com or www.positano.com to see what hotels are available for your dates. I have gone off season when most hotels, etc were closed and stayed at one lovely, small family owned hotel that remains open year round (or, it used to, you could check if interested): Incredible views and very nice owners. I am pretty sure their restaurant closes in off season but, again, you can check.

www.villagabrisa.it/welcome_uk/index.php

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,201 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Itinerary Help for Italy in November

You mentioned Cinque Terre as well, which many people visit from Florence as a very long day trip. I thought if you left it to chance you could go if the weather cooperates.

But yes from Rome you can take a train to Naples or Salerno. Because it is low season, there is no need to book anything in advance. If the weather is good, then go on to the AC. If it is not so good, you have plenty to see in Naples, and Salerno has some fans as well.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,068 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Itinerary Help for Italy in November

I disagree - if you know which day you wish to travel, you may well save quite a lot of money by buying train tickets online in advance - but, of course, if you want to leave it open to see how the weather is cooperating, that's fine because you will not have trouble getting tickets but just wanted to inform you that you could save some money on tickets if you are certain of date of travel.

The base fare from Rome to Naples is 43 euros each way per person, but if, for example, you were to buy today you could pay 19 euros for that same ticket.

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,201 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need Itinerary Help for Italy in November

I meant hotels, but those are probably more easily canceled if the weather is abysmal.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,068 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Need Itinerary Help for Italy in November

Oh, okay. I think if they want to go without reserving a hotel, they should at least have the list of which hotels are open so they don't waste a lot time looking for a place. The pickings are slim that time of year.

It may be that they would have better luck finding more options for places to stay in Sorrento and then visit the AC from there - not something I normally suggest doing but it is a possible choice. It can be rainy that time of year.

New England
Level Contributor
103 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need Itinerary Help for Italy in November

Okay, so to eliminate excessive travel and transit hopping, what if we go to Naples or Salerno as our coastline stop? It sounds do-able, but what do I need to know about ability to see the coastline from either, and the availability of hotels and restaurants in November?

Thank you for all your help. I may not make it to Positano or Capri but I just want to see the coastline......

Edited: 19 September 2013, 17:38