We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for our Southern Italy trip - please critique

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
373 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary for our Southern Italy trip - please critique

After lots of advice from our wonderful TA community, i've fine tuned our 19 nights in southern italy, I would appreciate any comments (good or bad). Arrive in Naples (3 nights), bus to Bari then onto Ostuni (3 nights) staying in a masseria a few kms out of town and hiring motor scooters to get around and explore places like Martina Franca and Alberobello ; then hire a car to drive to Scilla (3 nights) ; Taormina (3 nights) ; Ragusa (2 nights) ; overnight ferry from Catania back to Naples ; Positano (4 nights). then flying out of Naples. Not going til this time next year, but I'm excited!!! Thanks all

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,130 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for our Southern Italy trip - please critique

Hi Cohunagirl,

You could take the Marino Autolinee bus service or train between Naples and Bari.

Hire a car during your time in Ostuni - Masserie are located in the countryside and you would appreciate a car around Ostuni.

Note that the A3 to Sicily is under construction, and driving is especially unpleasant in Southern Calabria.

Return the car at Catania's airport and avoid driving in Catania itself.

Why not begin in Bari and then end in Naples? It's not efficient use of time to visit the same area twice as you have planned with Campania.

After Puglia, see Sicily, take the Caronte ferry from Messina to Salerno, spend time in Positano, and then end in Naples.

Or begin in Sicily, then see Puglia, and end in Campania.

Vagabonda

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
373 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for our Southern Italy trip - please critique

Thank you once again Vagabonda. I know it's not the most efficient use of our time but we have our hearts set on beginning in Naples and ending in Positano, but I will def give your ideas some thought

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,130 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for our Southern Italy trip - please critique

Prego Cohunagirl,

That could still be done without returning to Naples if you were to take the ferry from Sicily to Salerno, and then end in Positano.

Vagabonda

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
373 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary for our Southern Italy trip - please critique

Thank you again, I just presumed that when we arrived back in Naples that we would then just get straight onto another ferry or hydrofoil to Positano - is it not that easy to do?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,571 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary for our Southern Italy trip - please critique

There is no such boat from Naples to Positano but there is from Salerno - if you are going before the end of October; if not, you could take the SITA bus to Positano from Salerno - it would eliminate one extra public transportation leg.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,130 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary for our Southern Italy trip - please critique

When do you plan to travel?

Vagabonda

Edited: 21 September 2013, 16:32
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
373 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary for our Southern Italy trip - please critique

Catania to Positano was planned for 28th September

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,130 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary for our Southern Italy trip - please critique

Perhaps of interest -

Is Positano Best Reached via Naples or via Salerno?:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g194863-i286-k5720…

Vagabonda

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
373 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary for our Southern Italy trip - please critique

Vagabonda - def think the Messina to Salerno ferry us the best option, however would it be difficult to get from Ragusa to Messina using public transport? Is the ferry an overnight trip? Thank you

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,130 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary for our Southern Italy trip - please critique

Unfortunately the Caronte ferry schedules aren't convenient for reaching Messina's port via public transport - www.carontetourist.it/v2.6_en/autostrade.php

You would take the direct Interbus service from Ragusa to Aeroporto Catania, and then take the direct SAIS Autolinee bus service from Aeroporto Catania to Messina.

http://www.interbus.it/

http://www.saisautolinee.it/

http://www.saisautolinee.it/regionali.htm

Vagabonda